question about onliine course??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uesider

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know it's frowned upon to take the pre-reqs at a community college. I am doing all of my pre-reqs at a 4 year university, however I just found out that General Physics I requires Calculus I as a pre-req. I do not have time for Calc I ... the times won't work with my work schedule. Has anyone taken an online course for any of the MATH requirements (not science)? The online courses are surprisingly from 4-year universities... I have found them at Pace Univ., Suffolk Univ., and University of Illinois to name a few.

How would taking Calc I online look on a transcript? I know it's not a requirement for every dental school, so I'm assuming it would be ok. Anyone have any experience w/ online courses??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

uesider said:
So I know it's frowned upon to take the pre-reqs at a community college. I am doing all of my pre-reqs at a 4 year university, however I just found out that General Physics I requires Calculus I as a pre-req. I do not have time for Calc I ... the times won't work with my work schedule. Has anyone taken an online course for any of the MATH requirements (not science)? The online courses are surprisingly from 4-year universities... I have found them at Pace Univ., Suffolk Univ., and University of Illinois to name a few.

How would taking Calc I online look on a transcript? I know it's not a requirement for every dental school, so I'm assuming it would be ok. Anyone have any experience w/ online courses??

Thanks!

Hey there...I have taken plenty of online classes. Most of them have simply been general education courses. In order to succeed in an online course, you HAVE to be very self motivated. There is no teacher reminding you to turn stuff in...it's all on you. I have never taken a math class online so I don't know anything about that. I did have a friend who took Trig online. He did well. You have to be up on actually reading a math textbook...which I don't even do in a real math class.

Anyways, I know online courses aren't looked at highly, but it was all I could get to work with my rigorous work schedule. I don't feel any less of a student for it...and I am doing just fine at my 4 year. I guess the real test will be when I matriculate...we will see what they have to say about it. I'm not worried...

uesider said:

Thanks!

I took an online Chem course from Santa Monica College that had a live lab for 4 hours one day a week that I had to go to. It was a great class, although very difficult. The class of 42 turned into a class of 16 by the time it was done. I did very little general Chem review for the DAT and pulled out a 25, so the class was excellent prep. It is a lot of time, though. I liked the flexibility, but its definitely no easy way out.

As for Physics, why don't you take a Physics course without a Calc prereq? I'm taking one at SMC this fall, and from what I hear, its easy as pie. I'm sure a community college near you has one similar.