Question about Ophtho in Texas Tech and SMBS (Buffalo)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoWon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read only a few things about Ophtho at Texas Tech, but it sounds like a solid program with high surgical volumes and oculopathology. However, not many people talked about Texas Tech on SDN.
Can anyone please share the pros and cons of Texas Tech? Is it a competitive institution for Ophthalmology?

Also, the same goes for SMBS in Buffalo.
The SMBS website doesn't say much. So is there anyone out there that can share some information about this place? For instance, what are the surgical volumes, competitiveness, etc.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You won't find out as much useful info on SDN about middle tier programs and often just find inaccurate information. You only find a lot on top tier programs and extreme bias towards them since it is the SDN crowd we are dealing with here. I'll try to improve this over this next year to help ppl out since I was always wanting more info on these (most) programs.

Don't know anything about Buffalo. I know it's considered middle tier but that's about it.

Tech is known to have very nice facilities and very high cataract numbers (near 300 - probably highest in country) but weaker on the subspecialties. The reason they have such high cataract numbers is because they send you to the Blue Springs? VA that is almost 2 hours away for 3 months during each of your 2nd and 3rd years. There's nothing else there but the VA. Because it's so far, residents obviously can't commute daily so they drive down on Sundays and drive back to Lubbock on Friday morning for lectures on Friday afternoon. They do not have any call at all while they are on their VA rotation. This is obviously not very compatible for families so it scares ppl away. Also, Lubbock is a small suburban town in the middle of nowhere in Texas with no other big cities nearby. Another big reason ppl stay away from it. In terms of reputation, it's a strong middle tier program with great clinical training in a bad location. I did not attend my interview due to the family issue, having another interview on the same day, and also hearing from other applicants that they couldn't stand the location when they interviewed. The program itself I hear is excellent, though. Unfortunately you can't really say it's fine for single ppl, either. You wouldn't have to stress about leaving family all the time during your VA rotation, but it also would be a terrible place for dating and meeting ppl.

Disclaimer: there is nothing wrong with middle tier. Most middle tier provide equal and in many cases better training than "top tier" programs. The top programs are considered top mainly for research opportunities and some are even known for subpar training. That being said, you want to definitely go with top tier if you can because the name basically gets you into any fellowship and will carry weight for the rest of your career.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I completely agree with the previous post. I recently graduated from Tech so I can shed some light on the program. Tech’s primary focus is clinical training with little to no focus on research. Large research projects are actually discouraged in favor of studying for OKAPs. If you are interested in an academic career or research, then Texas Tech is not the place for you.

The training is excellent. I graduated with 272 phacos as a primary surgeon. If you interview at Tech, they project the previous year’s ACGME surgical numbers on a power point slide. Like other smaller programs without fellows, the residents do all of the cases. When I was there, our glaucoma attending left so my glaucoma training was very poor. But I had great sub specialty training in other fields. Our oculoplastics attending is fantastic, but it should be noted that he is not ASOPRS trained. You will perform a lot of ptosis repair and blephs, but you will not have any orbital wall fracture exposure.

There is no general resident clinic at Texas Tech, thus residents are always in a sub specialty clinic.

We spend a total of 4 months at the VA in Big Spring Texas during your second year and another 4 months during your 3rd year. The VA rotation is actually my favorite rotation. Residents drive down to Big Spring Sunday night and drive back on Thursday. During the rotation, we have Friday mornings off and no call. Clinic ends at 4 so you have a lot of free time. Now what did I do with my free time? Big Spring is 2 hours south of Lubbock and has a population of 25,000. There is not much to do in Big Spring. I worked out every day, studied for OKAPs, and watched TV. But every weekend I was back in Lubbock so it was not that big of a deal. The 2nd year resident is in clinic all day, but performs 2 phacos and possibly a bleph every week. The 3rd year is in the OR all day. At the beginning of the year at the VA, I performed about 7 phacos a week. During my last rotation, I was performing 10-12 phacos a week though I did not operate the last month of my VA rotation because of humidity problems in the OR.

I was single when I moved to Lubbock and I definitely struggled in the beginning. However I did end up meeting my wife in Lubbock. There are some good bars, but not that many single professionals in Lubbock. The cost of living is very cheap.

The program is very non malignant. First years are on q1 week primary call. I typically saw around 12 patients during the entire week. Back up call is covered by 2nd and 3rd years. I typically would come in 1 time a week at the end of the year and 3-5 times a week during the first few months on back up call.

Overall, for someone who wants great clinical and surgical training in an ultra non malignant environment, with lots of time to study for OKAPS, Tech is a great place. If you are very research oriented and want an academic job, I would look elsewhere. Oh and plane tickets are pretty expensive out of Lubbock :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You won't find out as much useful info on SDN about middle tier programs and often just find inaccurate information. You only find a lot on top tier programs and extreme bias towards them since it is the SDN crowd we are dealing with here. I'll try to improve this over this next year to help ppl out since I was always wanting more info on these (most) programs.

Don't know anything about Buffalo. I know it's considered middle tier but that's about it.

Tech is known to have very nice facilities and very high cataract numbers (near 300 - probably highest in country) but weaker on the subspecialties. The reason they have such high cataract numbers is because they send you to the Blue Springs? VA that is almost 2 hours away for 3 months during each of your 2nd and 3rd years. There's nothing else there but the VA. Because it's so far, residents obviously can't commute daily so they drive down on Sundays and drive back to Lubbock on Friday morning for lectures on Friday afternoon. They do not have any call at all while they are on their VA rotation. This is obviously not very compatible for families so it scares ppl away. Also, Lubbock is a small suburban town in the middle of nowhere in Texas with no other big cities nearby. Another big reason ppl stay away from it. In terms of reputation, it's a strong middle tier program with great clinical training in a bad location. I did not attend my interview due to the family issue, having another interview on the same day, and also hearing from other applicants that they couldn't stand the location when they interviewed. The program itself I hear is excellent, though. Unfortunately you can't really say it's fine for single ppl, either. You wouldn't have to stress about leaving family all the time during your VA rotation, but it also would be a terrible place for dating and meeting ppl.

Disclaimer: there is nothing wrong with middle tier. Most middle tier provide equal and in many cases better training than "top tier" programs. The top programs are considered top mainly for research opportunities and some are even known for subpar training. That being said, you want to definitely go with top tier if you can because the name basically gets you into any fellowship and will carry weight for the rest of your career.

Thanks Rocketbooster.
Your information sounds familiar.
I think I read your match post before, and your description of Lubbock then was what got me interested in the first place.

I completely agree with the previous post. I recently graduated from Tech so I can shed some light on the program. Tech’s primary focus is clinical training with little to no focus on research. Large research projects are actually discouraged in favor of studying for OKAPs. If you are interested in an academic career or research, then Texas Tech is not the place for you.

The training is excellent. I graduated with 272 phacos as a primary surgeon. If you interview at Tech, they project the previous year’s ACGME surgical numbers on a power point slide. Like other smaller programs without fellows, the residents do all of the cases. When I was there, our glaucoma attending left so my glaucoma training was very poor. But I had great sub specialty training in other fields. Our oculoplastics attending is fantastic, but it should be noted that he is not ASOPRS trained. You will perform a lot of ptosis repair and blephs, but you will not have any orbital wall fracture exposure.

There is no general resident clinic at Texas Tech, thus residents are always in a sub specialty clinic.

We spend a total of 4 months at the VA in Big Spring Texas during your second year and another 4 months during your 3rd year. The VA rotation is actually my favorite rotation. Residents drive down to Big Spring Sunday night and drive back on Thursday. During the rotation, we have Friday mornings off and no call. Clinic ends at 4 so you have a lot of free time. Now what did I do with my free time? Big Spring is 2 hours south of Lubbock and has a population of 25,000. There is not much to do in Big Spring. I worked out every day, studied for OKAPs, and watched TV. But every weekend I was back in Lubbock so it was not that big of a deal. The 2nd year resident is in clinic all day, but performs 2 phacos and possibly a bleph every week. The 3rd year is in the OR all day. At the beginning of the year at the VA, I performed about 7 phacos a week. During my last rotation, I was performing 10-12 phacos a week though I did not operate the last month of my VA rotation because of humidity problems in the OR.

I was single when I moved to Lubbock and I definitely struggled in the beginning. However I did end up meeting my wife in Lubbock. There are some good bars, but not that many single professionals in Lubbock. The cost of living is very cheap.

The program is very non malignant. First years are on q1 week primary call. I typically saw around 12 patients during the entire week. Back up call is covered by 2nd and 3rd years. I typically would come in 1 time a week at the end of the year and 3-5 times a week during the first few months on back up call.

Overall, for someone who wants great clinical and surgical training in an ultra non malignant environment, with lots of time to study for OKAPS, Tech is a great place. If you are very research oriented and want an academic job, I would look elsewhere. Oh and plane tickets are pretty expensive out of Lubbock :(

Those phaco numbers are sick!

Just talked with my wife; she is supportive of me going to Lubbock (if they take me), but I can tell the reluctance in her voice about the total of 8 months of being away from home 4-5 days per week.
Nonetheless, good training is on the top of my list, and I'd give up 8 months for one any day.

Just talked with my wife; she is supportive of me going to Lubbock (if they take me), but I can tell the reluctance in her voice about the total of 8 months of being away from home 4-5 days per week.
Nonetheless, good training is on the top of my list, and I'd give up 8 months for one any day.

It's good that you are preparing your wife for these less than ideal situations. Whether it be a few days a week of separation or a less desirable area there can be pros and cons with a lot of programs that don't necessarily impact your training. Ultimately, 4-5 days a week of separation for a few months a year may lead to better focus with your studying and sometimes getting to miss your wife is a good thing. ;)

Thanks Rocketbooster.
Your information sounds familiar.
I think I read your match post before, and your description of Lubbock then was what got me interested in the first place.

It's good that you are preparing your wife for these less than ideal situations. Whether it be a few days a week of separation or a less desirable area there can be pros and cons with a lot of programs that don't necessarily impact your training. Ultimately, 4-5 days a week of separation for a few months a year may lead to better focus with your studying and sometimes getting to miss your wife is a good thing. ;)

Yea I just know for me my wife wouldn't like it at all because she already wouldn't want to live in Lubbock and it wouldn't be easy to go visit her family while I'm gone since she'd work during the week AND flights in/out of Lubbock were expensive. There are really no direct flights from most places to Lubbock, so you have to fly through DFW for the most part, which is more expensive, an extra flight and more tiring to travel. Regardless, I was still very interested in interviewing there if I could have arranged it. I ended up choosing another interview that day at a program that I thought was arguably better and had a much better location (this city was much better and the training was all in one place).

I didn't even match at that program, probably because it was a last minute interview. That might be another thing to think about it. It's not always wise to cancel an interview that you got early on for a better program that you got last minute. All is not equal at the interview stage because programs prerank you. You're probably ranked deadlast at those last minute programs. That doesn't mean you can't match there, but it's probably less likely than a place that invited to interview at the beginning since you're just a fill-in at these late invites.

Last edited:
Yea I just know for me my wife wouldn't like it at all because she already wouldn't want to live in Lubbock and it wouldn't be easy to go visit her family while I'm gone since she'd work during the week AND flights in/out of Lubbock were expensive. There are really no direct flights from most places to Lubbock, so you have to fly through DFW for the most part, which is more expensive, an extra flight and more tiring to travel. Regardless, I was still very interested in interviewing there if I could have arranged it. I ended up choosing another interview that day at a program that I thought was arguably better and had a much better location (this city was much better and the training was all in one place).

I didn't even match at that program, probably because it was a last minute interview. That might be another thing to think about it. It's not always wise to cancel an interview that you got early on for a better program that you got last minute. All is not equal at the interview stage because programs prerank you. You're probably ranked deadlast at those last minute programs. That doesn't mean you can't match there, but it's probably less likely than a place that invited to interview at the beginning since you're just a fill-in at these late invites.
Probably correct about the late invites generally speaking but I can tell you anecdotally, I myself interviewed last minute at the program I ended up ranking at the top of my list and matched there. I think when choosing to attend interviews and whilst ranking one should use the same thought process I.e. Go/rank where you would like to end up, everything else seems to not matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably correct about the late invites generally speaking but I can tell you anecdotally, I myself interviewed last minute at the program I ended up ranking at the top of my list and matched there. I think when choosing to attend interviews and whilst ranking one should use the same thought process I.e. Go/rank where you would like to end up, everything else seems to not matter.

Same. I ranked my programs just like the above and matched at another late invite actually. But the first program was ranked higher and was probably a little harder to get into than the one I matched to, although I can't say that for sure.

I too was invited late last minute to a program. It was also my first interview in the season and I ended up matching there :)

Posted using SDN Mobile