Question about Optometry School Discrimination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhioODHopeful

Pre-Optometry
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if all the questions on the oat test that are irrelevant as to what type of person you are play a factor in getting into optometry school. If my father and mother aren't rich, will I be "one of those" and be dismissed? There is no valid reason they need to know my parents jobs or education level. My high school class standing is irrelevant as well if I meet GPA and OAT test score requirements? Are they going to do a credit check to see if my parents are rich before I'm allowed in? Also my wife has a GED, but will finish college from a good school with a 3.3 - 3.6 and excellent OAT scores, as will I. Will she be instantly dismissed because of this? I would like any feedback I can get regarding this, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering if all the questions on the oat test that are irrelevant as to what type of person you are play a factor in getting into optometry school. If my father and mother aren't rich, will I be "one of those" and be dismissed? There is no valid reason they need to know my parents jobs or education level. My high school class standing is irrelevant as well if I meet GPA and OAT test score requirements? Are they going to do a credit check to see if my parents are rich before I'm allowed in? Also my wife has a GED, but will finish college from a good school with a 3.3 - 3.6 and excellent OAT scores, as will I. Will she be instantly dismissed because of this? I would like any feedback I can get regarding this, thank you.

Is this a serious post? Schools care nothing about how much your parents make or your high school GPA. They look at your GPA, OAT and extracurricular activities. If they deem you competitive, then you get an interview. During, the interview they decide if you know what you are getting into to and if you can communicated with human beings.

Are you trying to ask if the OAT registration questions are used in the application process? No, this information is data for the test maker. Schools only see and care about your OAT score.

Eh, I can understand the hesitation to divulge that kind of information though. If you feel extremely uneasy about giving out this information, you could call Prometric and ask them directly what information the schools receive. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the schools "only" receive the test scores, unless this is something you know for sure. Maybe it's all they care about or look at, but it might not be all they have access to.

And I know at least two schools that require high school GPAs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply's. To dpu04, the question is not only real but entirely valid. No offense but what complete and utter lack of knowledge that displays in the way the actual world works. I have heard of many people being rejected during interviews because there clothes were not "stylish, or expensive enough" for the schools. I will call and see what information they actually receive. Asking irrelevant questions plays no part in test creation, if more poor and black students start applying do they switch the test they created for rich white test takers? Of course not that's insulting and ridiculous, your race, income and family's income or education level are completely irrelevant for taking a test, or should be. Statistical purpose is different, and again irrelevant considering the test should be the same for all, man or woman, but it doesn't say that on there to my knowledge, and I could be wrong, but I'm sure that's how they weed out "undesirables", the same as undergraduate schools do.
To blysssful thank you for the reply as well, and as stated I will call. I was entirely average in High School, so I hope it plays very little in my role of being excepted. I am a dual degree student in Biochemistry and Philosophy now with a 3.4, and hope to join a Optometry school soon. I was just hoping that these schools would take the most qualified instead of focusing on meaningless drivel, and I'm sure most do, thank you.

Thank you for the reply's. To dpu04, the question is not only real but entirely valid. No offense but what complete and utter lack of knowledge that displays in the way the actual world works. I have heard of many people being rejected during interviews because there clothes were not "stylish, or expensive enough" for the schools. I will call and see what information they actually receive. Asking irrelevant questions plays no part in test creation, if more poor and black students start applying do they switch the test they created for rich white test takers? Of course not that's insulting and ridiculous, your race, income and family's income or education level are completely irrelevant for taking a test, or should be. Statistical purpose is different, and again irrelevant considering the test should be the same for all, man or woman, but it doesn't say that on there to my knowledge, and I could be wrong, but I'm sure that's how they weed out "undesirables", the same as undergraduate schools do.
To blysssful thank you for the reply as well, and as stated I will call. I was entirely average in High School, so I hope it plays very little in my role of being excepted. I am a dual degree student in Biochemistry and Philosophy now with a 3.4, and hope to join a Optometry school soon. I was just hoping that these schools would take the most qualified instead of focusing on meaningless drivel, and I'm sure most do, thank you.

Yeah unfortunately you're right. It may not happen with optometry schools, and hopefully it doesn't... but these things are very much real and occurring in our society. People seem to forget that at the end of the day, the education system (especially higher education) is still a business. Keep us updated.

I wouldn't worry too much about the HS GPA. Mine was a joke (considering how easy high school is) and it didn't create any problems for me. I was actually really annoyed when I saw that SUNY and SCCO asked for it, because I don't think it's relevant.

I too was worried about schools looking at superficial things (interview clothing in particular). My interview invite said I should wear "formal attire" however I do not own a black suit and frankly could not afford to purchase or rent one. I wore the nicest clothing that I own to the inteview however I felt extremely out of place during the interview day as the only interviewee not wearing a black jacket. I had made a decision that if a school rejected me because of the clothing that I wore, I didn't really want to go to school there.

I was accepted, so I am pleased to say that some optometry schools will look past the clothes that you wear or the income of your parents and choose the students that they feel will make successful optometrists.

I agree that I made a mistake assuming that the schools only see your OAT score. When you find out, let us know. Now that I think of it... I bet ada.org(test creator) is getting paid to ask these questions from an outside research group. They are probably trying to figure out the correlations between race, family background, and gender.

"Asking irrelevant questions plays no part in test creation, if more poor and black students start applying do they switch the test they created for rich white test takers? "

The test was created for rich white test takers?

"...but I'm sure that's how they weed out "undesirables", the same as undergraduate schools do."

You are saying minorities are "undersireable"? That is insulting and ridiculous.

You seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder. Schools want the students with the highest GPA's and OAT scores. They will take your money no matter what your income, race or gender is. The world is not out to get you.

To dpu04, thank you for your reply, and not being childish even though we disagree, its refreshing. To address some things you said, I don't have a chip, I can just observe the world around me. I'm not a minority, and to answer the question, minorities are viewed as undesirable as well as people who's parents are not in the top 10% of income as well as men and women who are not model thin or athletic. A cursory glance around these boards, including M.D. and D.D.S, etc, will show you many, many instances of outright and deliberate discrimination and prejudice that should be illegal. If you desired to, you could read for hours on this site alone about people dismissed even before interviews began because the people were not in designer clothing, mostly women, but men as well. You could read the same of blacks, women who are not the size of a model, and people who cannot afford to spend $10k on an outfit. I have seen post after post from women dismissed for being a size 6 or above, for wearing an outfit that cost "only" $300 and shoes that cost "only" $400. One woman was instantly dismissed because her total jewlrey she wore was less then $3k in cost. Women are particularly vulnerable to this, including the several women who's hair wasn't styled by a "name" stylist, and was dismissed as unprofessional. Men as well, by the way, so you better look thin or athletic. Less qualified people who dress in designer outfits are allowed in with significantly lower test scores and GPA's, this isn't an opinion, its fact. The tests by the way, are of course written for rich white people, they are the ones who have access to college more so then anyone else, as well as money for test preparation and expensive clothing, what a ridiculous thing to deny, it obvious and I'm not one of those everythings racist people at all, most things aren't, but come on its obvious. That aside, schools want who looks good on brochures, pays them quickest, and preserves the "culture", and not a thing more, don't be ridiculous, as blysssful rightly said, its a business. I will let you know how it goes, since I obviously cannot afford armani, and my wife can't afford a $15,000 pant suit from Italy. This is a sad thing, that the qulaified are dismissed as the unqualified are pushed through.

How is any of what you just said 'fact'? I highly doubt an admissions committee would tell someone they didn't even consider them because they didn't like their clothes, even if it was true. I really don't understand where you're getting your information from, how could you possibly know that it was the clothes, or race, in all these instances?

To dpu04, thank you for your reply, and not being childish even though we disagree, its refreshing. To address some things you said, I don't have a chip, I can just observe the world around me. I'm not a minority, and to answer the question, minorities are viewed as undesirable as well as people who's parents are not in the top 10% of income as well as men and women who are not model thin or athletic. A cursory glance around these boards, including M.D. and D.D.S, etc, will show you many, many instances of outright and deliberate discrimination and prejudice that should be illegal. If you desired to, you could read for hours on this site alone about people dismissed even before interviews began because the people were not in designer clothing, mostly women, but men as well. You could read the same of blacks, women who are not the size of a model, and people who cannot afford to spend $10k on an outfit. I have seen post after post from women dismissed for being a size 6 or above, for wearing an outfit that cost "only" $300 and shoes that cost "only" $400. One woman was instantly dismissed because her total jewlrey she wore was less then $3k in cost. Women are particularly vulnerable to this, including the several women who's hair wasn't styled by a "name" stylist, and was dismissed as unprofessional. Men as well, by the way, so you better look thin or athletic. Less qualified people who dress in designer outfits are allowed in with significantly lower test scores and GPA's, this isn't an opinion, its fact. The tests by the way, are of course written for rich white people, they are the ones who have access to college more so then anyone else, as well as money for test preparation and expensive clothing, what a ridiculous thing to deny, it obvious and I'm not one of those everythings racist people at all, most things aren't, but come on its obvious. That aside, schools want who looks good on brochures, pays them quickest, and preserves the "culture", and not a thing more, don't be ridiculous, as blysssful rightly said, its a business. I will let you know how it goes, since I obviously cannot afford armani, and my wife can't afford a $15,000 pant suit from Italy. This is a sad thing, that the qulaified are dismissed as the unqualified are pushed through.

This is one of the most pathetic, cry-baby posts I've ever read. Get yourself to a psychiatrist ASAP.

Okay, I was with you until this post, but now I'm going to have to disagree. I won't make any statements about the test being slanted towards anything, because I don't have those kinds of expertise.

But, the clothing thing... what you're describing is absolutely, 100% ridiculous. Please, please show me posts where this level of discrimination based on clothing occurs. I know for a fact that at least one person wasn't wearing an outfit that cost more than $290 total, minimal jewelry included, without a recent haircut or manicured nails. And personally, I don't think it affected my interviews in the least. I'm also fairly confident that being a minority that is ostracized in many parts of this country had no effect on the admissions staff either.

Okay, I was with you until this post, but now I'm going to have to disagree. I won't make any statements about the test being slanted towards anything, because I don't have those kinds of expertise.

But, the clothing thing... what you're describing is absolutely, 100% ridiculous. Please, please show me posts where this level of discrimination based on clothing occurs. I know for a fact that at least one person wasn't wearing an outfit that cost more than $290 total, minimal jewelry included, without a recent haircut or manicured nails. And personally, I don't think it affected my interviews in the least. I'm also fairly confident that being a minority that is ostracized in many parts of this country had no effect on the admissions staff either.

To my interview, I wore Khaki pants, a collared shirt and tie underneath a nice sweater, because my interview was in December. I did not wear a suit, and I can assure you that my entire outfit cost less than $100.

That posting was ridiculous. People are claiming that they didn't get in because they didn't wear designer clothes? Cmon...let's be serious now. They're just upset because they weren't getting admitted and are trying to blame it on something. Maybe....just maybe....they just weren't that qualified. Or maybe....just maybe.....they didn't do as hot in the interview as they thought.

I can also assure you that I am NOT thin or athletic. I'm quite pear shaped. I can also assure that my parents had noooooo money.

What a bizarre rant that was.

You really do not have to worry about your income, clothes, or what you look like for your Optometry School interview! I can assure you that I am unwealthy, much larger than a size 6, and that my entire outfit was under $300 including jewelry, and I have been accepted to a few schools. Almost all OD students need loans, so I'm sure income is not a deciding factor.

If your scores are fine, you know what an optometrist does (and why you want to be one), and you can communicate with people, you will be perfectly fine. These are the things admissions comittees are looking for.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! This is hilarious! 10K suits, $15K pants from Italy, Armani, 3k worth in jewelry? Tests created for rich people? Yes, it's all propaganda to cut out poor minorities from medical related careers. Where do you get this crap? Did you just create this all in your mind and declare it as factual?

You probably also think the government administered AIDS to lower tier socioeconomic African Americans.

May god have mercy on us all if you get accepted to optometry school.

Last edited:
Dude. This is the funniest thread I've read all year.
If I were you, I'd worry about learning proper grammar and not my clothing.

Hopeful indeed.

I have seen post after post from women dismissed for being a size 6 or above, for wearing an outfit that cost "only" $300 and shoes that cost "only" $400. One woman was instantly dismissed because her total jewlrey she wore was less then $3k in cost. Women are particularly vulnerable to this, including the several women who's hair wasn't styled by a "name" stylist, and was dismissed as unprofessional. Men as well, by the way, so you better look thin or athletic. Less qualified people who dress in designer outfits are allowed in with significantly lower test scores and GPA's, this isn't an opinion, its fact. The tests by the way, are of course written for rich white people, they are the ones who have access to college more so then anyone else, as well as money for test preparation and expensive clothing, what a ridiculous thing to deny, it obvious and I'm not one of those everythings racist people at all, most things aren't, but come on its obvious. That aside, schools want who looks good on brochures, pays them quickest, and preserves the "culture", and not a thing more, don't be ridiculous, as blysssful rightly said, its a business. I will let you know how it goes, since I obviously cannot afford armani, and my wife can't afford a $15,000 pant suit from Italy. This is a sad thing, that the qulaified are dismissed as the unqualified are pushed through.

:confused::confused::confused:

Who the hell wants to go to optometry school if they can afford a $15,000 pant suit???

I'm a student that is actually on the admissions committee at PUCO and I found this asolutely hilarious. Knowing what I know about our admissions process only leads be to believe that this is a HUGE joke. I can't take it any other way because to take it any other way is so completely ludicrous. Going by your name, I can only hope that you didn't apply to PUCO and are instead only applying to Ohio.

Hahaha, wow, paranoid much!? Where did you get such absurd ideas!? Walmart sells suits for under 40 bucks and I got mine on Clearance from Target for 30. I am definately not anywhere near a size 6, merely brushed my hair, didn't get a manicure or put on any makeup, am a female with very non-rich parents, according to you I should be filing lawsuits for being denied, but funny, I wasn't. If you are able to put on a professional appearance (which doesn't have to cost a lot), are confident, smart, and logical (this seems to be an area of yours to work on) and sincere, you will be fine.