Question about optometry schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadPanda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing that not all states have optometry schools, is there any preference from schools for students of their states? I know from med schools if you are out of state your chances are lower but is there any pref like that with optometry schools? Also this is probably been asked but how many schools should one apply to, especially for an applicant with mediocre grades and decent OAT scores?

Members don't see this ad.

i think BECAUSE there are so few schools, it makes optometry school admissions just as hard. The public optometry schools will always show some preference to in-state students, but I"m pretty sure the private ones accept everyone relatively equally. Although... schools like PACIFIC and SCCO have programs like WICHE that obviously helps out.
hope this helps somewhat.

Some schools have things called "sister states". They are contracted to these states and will accept people from the states over other people that applied from states that are not contracted out. I heard the school in Oklahoma is like this. I could be wrong, but this would show more of a preference to in-state applicants and also applicants from the sister states. And as for number of schools to apply to, generally it's anywhere from about 3-5, although people do more and less.. Depends on how conformtable you are.