Question about Paramedic experience.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamBig

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking of a thread on here the other day that made me wonder how admissions look at medics. Is this experience a good thing? I am a premed, nontraditional, paramedic, and I have to work if I want to eat. This doesn't leave a lot of time to volunteer or do research. Is this working as a medic while your a premed viewed as somewhat of a substitue for volunteering/research.

P.S. The reason I put this in the DO forum is because I am particularly curious how DO schools view people in my position.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a great experience to have when it came to my interviews, I too was a non-trad paramedic. Almost all of the interview panels I met with talked highly of my experience and asked questions about life as a paramedic making conversation a lot easier. It also made some of the ethical questions easier since we've had experience with many of the topics.

When I applied I had zero research experience. Tons of clinical and teaching experience, but no research. I don't think it had any impact on my application. I accepted 6 interviews and was accepted to all of them.

Be prepared though, I was asked how was I going to adjust to the first 2 years of school considering I had already had the equivalent of years 3 and 4. Which I responded simply with: That as a Paramedic I am taught to see A and treat with X, see B treat with Y and etc. The first 2 years of medical school will give me the opportunity to understand the reason why you use these treatments.

This seemed to go over really well. Also be ready to talk about the movie "bringing out the dead" they seemed to like to ask questions about whether the movie was an accurate portrail or not.

Good Luck, any questions feel free to pm me.

DreamBig said:
I was just thinking of a thread on here the other day that made me wonder how admissions look at medics. Is this experience a good thing? I am a premed, nontraditional, paramedic, and I have to work if I want to eat. This doesn't leave a lot of time to volunteer or do research. Is this working as a medic while your a premed viewed as somewhat of a substitue for volunteering/research.

P.S. The reason I put this in the DO forum is because I am particularly curious how DO schools view people in my position.

As for volunteering....what about your clincial rotations in paramedic school. Or have you ever taught a CPR or First Aid class. Talked to kids about the ambulance or 911. All of these are a form of volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. That helps tremendously.

Made a significant difference having been a medic for 12 years. Had lots to talk about during the interview, and I think having in-depth experience on the clinical side helps quite a bit. My impression is that DO schools are more receptive to people with clinical experiences - EMT/EMTP, RN, LPN, etc.

Medicfletch said:
As for volunteering....what about your clincial rotations in paramedic school. Or have you ever taught a CPR or First Aid class. Talked to kids about the ambulance or 911. All of these are a form of volunteering.

I'd have to disagree with this. If you are paid to teach, then no. If you do it for free, sure. While clinical rotations feel like you are volunteering, it wouldn't count as volunteer work, as it's part of your education.

I'd have to say it worked for me. I've got 6+ years as a paramedic in a 911 system. I worked while I went to school, I was able to get a little research in but nothing published. I felt that DO schools were very receptive to my clinical experiences. I too did not have much time for volunteer work (I did work with an explorer post, but that was about it). I've got mediocre grades with a decent mcat. I got into all (2) of the DO schools I applied to. The paramedic work came up at every interview.

Good luck!

We have two former medics in our class, one was a flight medic right up until the week before orientation.

B-

DreamBig said:

tkim said:
Made a significant difference having been a medic for 12 years. Had lots to talk about during the interview, and I think having in-depth experience on the clinical side helps quite a bit. My impression is that DO schools are more receptive to people with clinical experiences - EMT/EMTP, RN, LPN, etc.

The fact that I was a C.N.A. was brought up at all of my interviews in a very positive light. Being a medic is in the same vein in that you get to work with people in a one-on-one basis. Some of the people I interviewed with didn't have this experience and, thusly, this was a positive for me.