Question about parental information and the FASFA

Started by TexMom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TexMom

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok-- I am an independent student and have been for years. By the time I enter med school, I will have 2 children in college, 2 in high school, and 2 in Jr. High. Yet, for certain programs the schools require my parents info on FASFA.

Now here is the problem

1. One of my parents is deceased.

2. My other parent and I have not seen each other or spoke in over 10 years.

So how do I handle this? Is there a reasonable way around this without screwing myself out of financial aid?
 
You might want to check with the schools and see if parental info is absolutely required. Some schools just want it for extra information.

For example, at SLU students were eligible for up to 10k/year in grants if they provided parental financial aid info, but if they wouldn't/couldn't you would still be eligible for up to 5K/year in grants.
 
At Wayne we cannot receive board of gov scholarships (roughly $9000) or Perkins loans $5000 if you don't include parental information. SO it is all or nothing in terms of parental information. Though if your EFC is less you get the full amount while if it is a bit more you get half the board of gov or only Perkins and last if your EFC is more then you don't get any need-based aid and just get the subsidized stafford loans.