question about part III

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragon1761

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im trying to get a head start and gather all my material for Part III. I was wondering if someone can give me tips on what i can use to study for that. Like what good books to get for practice cases and stuff. Thanks for help

Members don't see this ad.

Part III was the clinical exam so what worked for me was what I learned on my externships.

I also read Wills Eye Manual cover to cover about 3 times (I carried it with me on the bus, at the mall, everywhere) in the months leading up to the exam.

For the PAM, a lot of the study materials are the same as for Part II. For the disease part, I used Wills (using I think the first couple of chapters as an outline). I typed out a study guide of some of the major diseases and presentations and some of what I thought was most important to know about them (including treatments). I also referred to photos online and in textbooks (Mass Eye is good to have on hand too...I didn't have the newest version of Wills yet with photos).

For the refractive conditions part, I referred back to my Part II study materials. Know the problems you can have with contact lenses and what they look like. And how to troubleshoot problems with fitting.

If your exam is anything like mine, there will be a few weird, seemingly "out there" questions. Don't panic, that's just how it is. It was also frustrating how many of the "biggies" that I thought for sure would be on there...weren't. I thought I had my butt handed to me on that test, but it all turned out quite well.

For the skills exam, you'll mostly want to study the outline until you could recite it in your sleep (especially the case history). Practice it over and over and over. Note that, on the contact lens part, you have to wash your hands a LOT.

It really will be fine.