Question about paying deposit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamer716

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I've received word two weeks ago I've been accepted to my second choice. The deposit for it is due this week, but I'll find out the decision for my number one choice next week. Is it possible I can pay the deposit for the number 2 school and then for the number 1 school? I read somewhere that once I pay a deposit somewhere it automatically withdraws my application from other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

No that's not true. Paying a deposit will not affect your chances of admission at any other program.

Nope. If you don't want to waste money putting down that deposit, you can always try asking the admission for an extension on your deposit. Some schools allow it :) Congratulations by the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
It does not withdraw your application at all! What would be the point of that? They just want to charge you to hold your spot in their incoming class.. So i would either call the admissions and let them know your situation, or pay the deposit and possibly end up wasting some money if you end up getting into your first choice also. Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion! Congrats :)

Okay I've received word two weeks ago I've been accepted to my second choice. The deposit for it is due this week, but I'll find out the decision for my number one choice next week. Is it possible I can pay the deposit for the number 2 school and then for the number 1 school? I read somewhere that once I pay a deposit somewhere it automatically withdraws my application from other schools?

You can pay the deposit to secure your spot without it negatively affecting your other chances. (Unless you are early decision, which I doubt)

Paying deposit to multiple instituion really kicks my butt. But at least it won't hurt your result from other institution at all.