Question about perception of name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7tothe14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think Medical College of Wisconsin sounds likes a lesser program than it is simply because of the name? Do you think this factors into how people rank it?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone think Medical College of Wisconsin sounds likes a lesser program than it is simply because of the name? Do you think this factors into how people rank it?

no. If someone bases a ranking on what a program name sounds like, I'm not clear how they got this far in their education.

You think it would sell better as Marquette University School of Medicine?

Y'know, if someone hasn't learned enough critical thinking skills in 4 years of medical school to see past the "name", they probably shouldn't be ranked by any program...

Disclaimer: I have no personal or professional connection to MCW*--but they deserve better. http://www.mcw.edu/aboutMCW.htm

*oops--they did sponsor some of my CME last year. Good stuff, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree entirely. This is just my impression based on rank lists I've been scouring. It seems from an actual strength vs weakness vs quality of life perspective, it's falling further down people's ROL than is justifiable if it wasn't for "name". I know everyone has their own reasons for how they rank, but in spite of the lip service, it genuinely does appear than many people are ranking on perception of prestige.

I agree entirely. This is just my impression based on rank lists I've been scouring. It seems from an actual strength vs weakness vs quality of life perspective, it's falling further down people's ROL than is justifiable if it wasn't for "name". I know everyone has their own reasons for how they rank, but in spite of the lip service, it genuinely does appear than many people are ranking on perception of prestige.

Or it could be the perception that Milwaukee is somewhat less desirable than other competing midwestern locations--particularly Madison.

Or it could be the perception that Milwaukee is somewhat less desirable than other competing midwestern locations--particularly Madison.

Madison is great...if you are 18. Or 68.

It could be worse. It could be Medical College of Milwaukee.

What would people think of the following schools:

Medical College of New Haven
Medical College of Suburban Detroit
Medical College of the South Side of Chicago
Medical College of Washington Heights

Yep, this is pretty much it. I thought very highly of their program when I interviewed last year. The only problem I see is the weather there.

Yep, this is pretty much it. I thought very highly of their program when I interviewed last year. The only problem I see is the weather there.

There's weather everywhere.
Well, except Honolulu. And San Diego.

I'd gladly put up with a Great Lakes winter if I avoid Mississippi Delta summers.
To each their own.

And again, my 2 words: Global Warming.

I just interviewed there and it's going top two, which is pretty impressive considered I applied there on a whim. Of everywhere I interviewed, I thought this had the best, most well-rounded clinical training. Also, with all the talk about programs that are good lifestyle programs, I'm surprised this one has never been mentioned. Despite its laid back schedule, I don't think it loses anything in training or exposure.

If people don't want to rank it higher because of name, knock yourself out. I'll gladly take it.

I'd gladly put up with a Great Lakes winter if I avoid Mississippi Delta summers.
To each their own.

Spend too much time in a Mississippi Delta summer and you'll be very very uncomfortable... some people might even experience heat stroke and other medical complications.

Spend too much time in a Great Lakes winter and you'll die. If you're lucky, you'll just lose some limbs to frostbite.

Different people have different reasons. I initially couldn't understand why people rank WashU so low... I figured it might be because they didn't want a biologically-focused program, but they often rank UW or UCSD or Pitt above WashU (and if they didn't want a biological program, they wouldn't have interviewed at WashU). And I thought it might be because of the name (even though WashU is a name brand in the medical field, nobody else knows what it is), but then again, UW and UCSD and Pitt.

Then I realized it's probably just because of St. Louis. I think the same is probably true for MCW.

Different people have different reasons. I initially couldn't understand why people rank WashU so low... I figured it might be because they didn't want a biologically-focused program, but they often rank UW or UCSD or Pitt above WashU (and if they didn't want a biological program, they wouldn't have interviewed at WashU). And I thought it might be because of the name (even though WashU is a name brand in the medical field, nobody else knows what it is), but then again, UW and UCSD and Pitt.

Then I realized it's probably just because of St. Louis. I think the same is probably true for MCW.

who are these 'people' you refer to? You talk about this stuff in a way that is completely foreign to reality. There is no concencus of any sort on how UCSD compares to WashU or Pitt for example. I'm sure people do make decisions on how to rank those programs sometimes relative to each other, but that's a different argument than trying to decide which one is better/worse.

I mean yeah, most people would definately say Columbia or UCSF or MHG is 'higher' than Maimonides, but you seem to have this idea that there are 6 or 7 different 'tiers' of programs.......that really isn't the case.

who are these 'people' you refer to? You talk about this stuff in a way that is completely foreign to reality. There is no concencus of any sort on how UCSD compares to WashU or Pitt for example. I'm sure people do make decisions on how to rank those programs sometimes relative to each other, but that's a different argument than trying to decide which one is better/worse.

I mean yeah, most people would definately say Columbia or UCSF or MHG is 'higher' than Maimonides, but you seem to have this idea that there are 6 or 7 different 'tiers' of programs.......that really isn't the case.

I'm just referring to random people in previous rank list threads. I don't know what you mean by "tiers," but I don't think there's much in the way of "tiers" in psychiatry. If anything, a community program might give you better clinical training than a research-oriented program... I'm mentioning UCSD/WashU/Pitt because they're all biologically-focused research-oriented programs, but have very different "names" and "locations" (which is the theme of this thread).

IIf anything, a community program might give you better clinical training than a research-oriented program...

Yeah but psychiatry is four years. The much more all-encompassing family medicine is only 3! Even at a research-oriented psych program where residents spend 1/2 their time in the lab, they'll still get plenty of clinical training. You can always learn more; the question is what do you need to graduate and start practice?

I would say WashU appears more philosophically biologically oriented that UW or UCSD (didn't interview at Pitt). As I recall, the intro speech to the interview covered their general biological orientation. UW and UCSD weren't quite as overt about it. Another potential knock on WashU compared with those other programs is that the only fellowship they have is child. So, while location is probably strongly in there, it's not the only motivation for ranking those other programs over WashU for some applicants.

As for this "name" business, I think it's silly to act as if it doesn't matter to anyone. People do assume that if someone trained at MGH, they're somehow smarter and better trained than someone who trained at a less prestigious program.