Would choosing a decent-name academic program make it easier to return to California as an attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buggyboo

Reaction score
I'm in between choosing a decent name academic program with a heavier work load (e.g., Rutgers) vs. newer programs that have a better call schedule. My goal is to return to California as an attending physician, therefore, is it better to pick the decent academic name program?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where in California and what you want to do. If you want to work at a big academic center, then going to a decent academic program will help. If you want to work in a community hospital, CMHC, VA, or group practice, then it does matter but not as much as big academic centers. If you want to work in private practice, it might matter depending on which clientele you want to cater to.

The best approach is to do a Google search the clinics/hospitals/group practices you'd consider working for and take a look at their psychiatrists on staff and their education profile to get a sense for the academic programs they went to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Minimum you have to have a license for California and all of the training and certifications to get that license. Doesn't matter which program where you trained.

So I think there's likely more to your question then you specified.

Reactions: 1 user
What exactly are you planning to do in CA? There's quite a shortage of psychiatrists in CA...like everywhere else. Is there some specific thing you want to be doing? Even if you REALLY wanted to live only in SF or LA, no problem finding a job on any street corner.

Easiest way to be an attending in CA is to do your residency there, regardless of program reputation.
If your long-term goal is location, I'd make your rank list accordingly. Did you not get any CA interviews?