Question about personal statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Two quick questions:

Is it permissible to use contractions like don't instead of do not or wouldn't instead of would not? Since this is a formal essay, I don't want to use contractions but it saves one character, which can help.

Should you use two spaces between sentences? I've been using one to save on characters but I was wondering if it makes a difference.

What do y'all think? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yourmom25 said:
Two quick questions:

Is it permissible to use contractions like don't instead of do not or wouldn't instead of would not? Since this is a formal essay, I don't want to use contractions but it saves one character, which can help.

Should you use two spaces between sentences? I've been using one to save on characters but I was wondering if it makes a difference.

What do y'all think? Thanks.

i wouldn't use contractions unless they fit the tone (if you're relating an anecdote, trying to be lighthearted etc.)

i always use one space b/ween sentences

g'luck!

I second that! :luck:

wetlightning said:
i wouldn't use contractions unless they fit the tone (if you're relating an anecdote, trying to be lighthearted etc.)

i always use one space b/ween sentences

g'luck!