question? about pharm degrees in ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lomikhay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm a pharm kid at carolina and i was wondering if i could ask you guys a question. ok so, in the time-line of things, relatively do you guys know when ohio started making the pharmD a mandatory requirement for universities to switch from the bs to the pharmD. i was just wondering b/c we were very slow at making the switch. also is it still possible to get the bs in pharmacy (like if you guys don;t want to do anything clinical) and if you do have the bs in pharmacy can you work in any other state - or do you have to work towards getting a pharmD?? thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

It was in the early 90's and no, you cannot get a bachelor's degree in pharmacy and be a pharmacist in the United States.

Ohio actually led the transition, it started at Ohio State.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the response -so you mean that there are no longer programs with bs in pharmacy, right? but if you do have a bs you can still practice in the us, so are you required to take additional ce courses or anything? also what happens if you move from one state to another? do other states acknowledge your bs if you received it form another state?

another question: do you think that there will be another degree change in the future? b/c i was talking with one of my pharmacist and he mentioned that the biggest difference in the bs and the pharmd programs was that the last year in the pharmd program is all rotations whereas in the bs program it was done during the summers (and they would get paid for their work) which made the program shorter - but that doesn't sound right so i have too many questions

I think the current pharmacists are scrambling to get their pharm.D.'s while still working. I can imagine they need it to stay competitive with the new graduates. Some schools are going to start requiring a bachelor's degree before starting in the pharm.D. I know Ohio State already does. Many of us chose to get it anyways to make us more competitive (I have mine in Microbiology & Molecular Biology). I can't imagine the old bachelor's degree being anything close to the new Pharm.D. because we are all taking 2-4 years of undergrad classes so if it were the same thing, wouldn't we be taking 4 more years of the same material? I hear that is not the case. I hope this helps! I am relieved that it is no longer just a bachelor's degree because I don't think I would be satisfied in the career if it was. This way, we should get more respect and more resonsibility.