question about pharmacotherapy class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

care bear

pink fuzzy user
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i am a med student going on leave for a semester in january. i am doing research, but also considering taking 1-2 interesting classes in the other health professions schools, that i will not really get a chance to take when i return to med school.

one of the classes i am interested in is 'pharmacotherapy for HIV infection'. however, i am not sure if i know enough to take it. there are no listed prereqs, but i'm assuming most students will probably be in pharmacy school. the course # is 100 something, which doesn't sound too intimidating, but then again i have essentially zero pharm background.

what do you guys think? anyone ever taken a class like this, and what did you need to know for it? thanks so much for your help!

(and yes, i know i should just contact the professor and ask, which i plan on doing. but since i was already on sdn. . .;) )

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently taking my "therapeutic disease state management" series of courses right now, and although prerequisite knowledge of pharmacology, anatomy, and physiology would be useful, there really is not a great deal of prerequisite knowledge absolutely needed for any of the classes I'm taking. Don't know about pharmacotherapy for HIV, I'll be taking a similar course in Janurary, but I think you'll be fine. They'll probably review the pharmacology, the MOA and dosing of pharmacotherapeutics as they come up in class.

care bear,
if there are no listed pre-reqs, you should be fine. we all walk in to our therapeutics classes knowing nothing anyway (and at SC, sometimes we also leave knowing nothing :rolleyes: )
but i think you'll be very well prepared as a med student. i HIGHLY doubt it will be too technical for you. (maybe you'll be able to teach them a thing or two ;) ). no worries.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies. they haven't listed the prof yet so i haven't contacted him/her, but i think i'm just gonna go ahead and sign up for it.
after all, i can't do much worse than i was doing in med school this semester :) and it's a really interesting topic, and i won't get a chance to take a class like this for years, if i don't do it next sem. . .
thanks again!

care bear, you should be fine. pharmacotherapy classes focus mostly on how and why particular drugs are used for a disease. In other words, the studies that support their use, selecting the best drug(s) for a particular patient, how to dose and monitor the drugs, when they should be used and when to stop using them.

Usually, pharm students are taught the pathophysiology of a disease along with the pharmacotherapy of it, so if you haven't taken that yet, you'll be OK. You may have difficulty if you haven't taken pharmacology yet, but a good background in physiology can compensate.

On the whole, I think you'll be fine, and you'll have a little bit different perspective on what you're learning. And I'm sure they'll be happy to have you there.