Biology 1 class issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ttaylpharm1350

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My first post here so I apologize if this is in the wrong thread. I am a pre-pharmacy student completing my prerequisites for Harrison School of Pharmacy at Auburn. Also please no negativity about going into pharmacy as I have seen on other posts. I am a hospital technician and have been for a long time so I will work hospital when I finish. No retail. Now that that is out of the way.

My question involved Biology 1. This is my first science class in college and my teacher is not the best. She is very sweet and kind but she doesn’t teach. Everything is open book , and on powerpoints. I have an A in the course and labs, but I am concerned that this lack of strong biology class will hinder me in future science classes. I am trying to really study and teach myself, but Biology can be difficult to do that with. Especially someone who has been out of high school for 12 years. What are everyone’s thoughts on this? Even though I make an A in this class should I retake for the foundation? Or can I proceed into my next set of prerequisites without issues? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Even though I make an A in this class should I retake for the foundation?

No.

Can I proceed into my next set of prerequisites without issues?

Introductory Foundations of Biology is in the name: Introductory. For example, you may be taught the difference between - prokaryotes vs eukaryotes, defining nucleobases, figuring out what's RNA vs DNA, & understanding how a DNA backbone structure is developed. For being out of school for a decade some of these terms may seem a bit off-putting without looking at your notes. That is ok.

If you're a fulltime student, you'll start to see some of your secondary science classes overlapping as you progress to your upper level coursework. Simply retaking an A because you feel you lack the foundation due to open notes can be fixed by taking the tests without your notes to see if you feel adequate enough based on the material (or at least second check yourself with current notes after you've answered the questions).

Another way to approach it is to see how many Biology majors took the course from the same professor and still succeeded in their upper sciences. You can always ask them what tips they did or if the teaching method was adequate enough to progress in their studies.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a hospital technician and have been for a long time so I will work hospital when I finish. No retail. Now that that is out of the way.

Oh? You have an offer letter already? Why don't all the unemployed pharmDs from the class of 2019-2021 just do that then? There is a fund to donate to unemployed pharmDs if you'd like to help them out:

Reactions: 4 users
Hi Sir/Mr. MenTOS

I worked as vice-co-president-super-chief-ultra-uber secretary for the CEO of my hospital

When I finish my associate in business administration I too will become CEO!!! :laugh:

I landed that uber secretary position because my dad IS the CEO of my hospital.

I will get a PharmD, BCPS, MBA, and 50 more letters after my name so I will beat you to CEO since I am obviously more qualified by having more letters after my name.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users