question about plavix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pkpd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering...has anyone seen plavix 75mg for a pediatric patient?

Members don't see this ad.

No, have you??

I suppose it's better than ASA if there is a true need for this agent in a child

No, have you??

I suppose it's better than ASA if there is a true need for this agent in a child

i came across this prescription few days ago for a 12yo and tried calling the doctor but couldnt get hold of him. Is 75mg too high for a 12 yo? i couldnt find any information about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Is 75mg too high for a 12 yo?"

Well it sure doesnt come in a lower dose. I havent ever seen it used for 12 year olds and cant think of any reason on the top of my head. Does the patient have any known disease states that you might have saw? Sure would be a learning experience to see what the doctor says about it.

Pubmed is a friend too all!

1, J Pediatr. 2005 Nov;147(5):657-61.

Clopidogrel use in children.

Finkelstein Y, Nurmohamed L, Avner M, Benson LN, Koren G.

Division of Clinical Pharmacology, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto School of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario. [email protected]

OBJECTIVES: To review a pediatric experience with the antiplatelet agent clopidogrel and suggest a dosage regimen. STUDY DESIGN: A retrospective chart review of all infants and children treated with clopidogrel at The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto between January 2001 and April 2004. Clopidogrel dosages, duration of therapy, complications, and adverse effects in a pediatric population were explored. RESULTS: Fifteen infants and children with congenital and acquired heart disease were treated with clopidogrel (median age, 3.5 years; range, 6 weeks to 16 years). Dosages ranged from 1 to 6 mg/kg/day for periods between 1 month and 6 months. Although no thrombotic events were reported, 1 child had a bleeding complication (gastrointestinal) while on triple antithrombotic therapy. Other complications reported in adults, including rash and clinical thrombocytopenia, were not noted in this pediatric series. CONCLUSIONS: Clopidogrel was well tolerated. We suggest a starting dose of 1 mg/kg/day for children.

2. Stroke. 2006 Apr;37(4):1120-2. Epub 2006 Mar 9

The risks and safety of clopidogrel in pediatric arterial ischemic stroke.

Soman T, Rafay MF, Hune S, Allen A, MacGregor D, deVeber G.

Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada.

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to determine safety and tolerability of clopidogrel in children with arterial ischemic stroke (AIS). Clopidogrel is the alternative antiplatelet medication when aspirin is not tolerated or fails. The possible risks and safety of clopidogrel in children with AIS have not been assessed. METHODS: This is a prospective consecutive cohort study of children with AIS who were started on clopidogrel. Seventeen children were included. RESULTS: Two children developed subdural hematomas while on clopidogrel in conjunction with aspirin. Two others had headache or hand numbness. No other side effects like rash or gastrointestinal upsets were reported. CONCLUSIONS: We found clopidogrel to be relatively well tolerated in the pediatric population. In combination with aspirin and in the presence of other risk factors, intracranial bleeding may be seen.

im not gonna read them, but you can adn tell me all about it