Question about PMR residency chances as DO student??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
please review the forum, there are many good answers to your questions already posted.

Probably more competitive in the future.

Hey license43, I don't know what it'll be like in 2020/2021 but I can tell you my stats as some anecdotal evidence. I'm a current 4th year DO student who matched PM&R today.

My COMLEX 1 score was in the upper 500s and my COMLEX 2 score was in the 400s (did poorly). I did not take the USMLE. I didn't have any research experience in medical school. Had several extracurricular activities but no leadership ones. My clinical and preclinical grades were great though.

I received 11 PM&R interviews and 6 prelim/TY interviews. Went in with realistic expectations that I would not be interviewing at the top places. But the number 1 program in the country and the last program both make a Physiatrist at the end of the day. :)

Let me know if you have more specific questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey license43, I don't know what it'll be like in 2020/2021 but I can tell you my stats as some anecdotal evidence. I'm a current 4th year DO student who matched PM&R today.

My COMLEX 1 score was in the upper 500s and my COMLEX 2 score was in the 400s (did poorly). I did not take the USMLE. I didn't have any research experience in medical school. Had several extracurricular activities but no leadership ones. My clinical and preclinical grades were great though.

I received 11 PM&R interviews and 6 prelim/TY interviews. Went in with realistic expectations that I would not be interviewing at the top places. But the number 1 program in the country and the last program both make a Physiatrist at the end of the day. :)

Is there a reliable way to come up with a list of high/middle/low tier schools? I’m trying to figure out where I need to be setting my sights based on scores etc.

I’ve heard both Doximity and Frieda are notoriously unreliable l, but I’ve got nothing else to go off of.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How may prelims/TY did you apply to? I want to get a good gauge of how many I should apply to.

Is there a reliable way to come up with a list of high/middle/low tier schools? I’m trying to figure out where I need to be setting my sights based on scores etc.

I’ve heard both Doximity and Frieda are notoriously unreliable l, but I’ve got nothing else to go off of.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Freida is unreliable? I thought that was direct information posted from the residency program

Not sure of a good way to come up with a list like that. Honestly, I just applied to every PM&R program in the country. There's only 80 I think. The whole application and interview process already costs a ton so might as well pay some more. Keep in mind my scores and app were not the greatest. You might be in a different situation where you can be more selective.

How may prelims/TY did you apply to? I want to get a good gauge of how many I should apply to.

I think I applied to around 40 prelims focusing in the midwest area. Received 6 interviews. Matched at one of them!

I think I applied to around 40 prelims focusing in the midwest area. Received 6 interviews. Matched at one of them!

Good strategy often leads to good results. Congrats!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks. This is really helpful. Seems like the prelims in medicine has been decreasing year by year.