Question About Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjyoo815

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just have a question about Post-Bacc programs... I was planning on doing an informal post-bacc (just taking classes at a 4-year state university). However, I have finished all my pre-req courses at a 4 year university.... is it worth it to take additional classes at a 4 year state university or can I just take additional classes at a community college?

I am completely aware that some schools do not bother looking at community college courses, but for those that are okay with CC courses... would it be okay to take a bunch of elective courses from there?

Thanks a bunch.

Sci GPA: 2.9
Cumulative GPA: 3.0
DAT: AA 21/ TS 21/ PAT 17

Members don't see this ad.

Most people who elect to do a postbac are usually doing so to improve their GPA and/or to show adcoms that they can handle the rigors of dental school. In my opinion, I don't think that taking classes at a community college, regardless of the grades achieved, would fully show that you could handle the full courseloads given during dental school. I would try and stick to the 4 year college/university and continue to take upper division science courses that utilize the curriculum from your pre-reqs. Focus on Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem, Microbio, and Histology if you can find it.

So I just have a question about Post-Bacc programs... I was planning on doing an informal post-bacc (just taking classes at a 4-year state university). However, I have finished all my pre-req courses at a 4 year university.... is it worth it to take additional classes at a 4 year state university or can I just take additional classes at a community college?

I am completely aware that some schools do not bother looking at community college courses, but for those that are okay with CC courses... would it be okay to take a bunch of elective courses from there?

Thanks a bunch.

Sci GPA: 2.9
Cumulative GPA: 3.0
DAT: AA 21/ TS 21/ PAT 17

Usually, people do the other way around. They take the basic pre-dents at a CC and then switch over at a university and take upper level sciences.

Taking your advanced biology courses at a CC is (IMO) problematic in 2 ways:
1) many CC's don't offer upper level biologies. Many offer the basic 200 level stuffs (like a&p 200, basic microbio 200, basic biochem, etc etc).
2) you have low undergrad GPA. Even if you went to a CC that offered upper level bios and was able to get an A, its doesn't look at all that impressive since your university GPA is sub 3.0

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input. So I guess the general consensus is to take a post-bacc at a 4 year university that offers more upper division bio courses... I was just curious because taking classes (informally) is quite expensive...

Thank you for the input. So I guess the general consensus is to take a post-bacc at a 4 year university that offers more upper division bio courses... I was just curious because taking classes (informally) is quite expensive...

I have read this elsewhere also (post-bacc being more expensive). Is this a fact generally?

I am just surprised, because at the well respected 4 year university I attend, it is the same cost as if I was the typical undergrad.

Hmm... is that so? The only reason that I say it is expensive is because I won't be able to get financial aid that I normally did while attending a 4 year university. And comparing that cost to the cost of taking classes at a community college... of course the price is a bit steep.

Cal State's Open University (which is what I am going to do) costs $261 per unit (varies per school I believe).

Hmm... is that so? The only reason that I say it is expensive is because I won't be able to get financial aid that I normally did while attending a 4 year university. And comparing that cost to the cost of taking classes at a community college... of course the price is a bit steep.

Cal State's Open University (which is what I am going to do) costs $261 per unit (varies per school I believe).

If your talking about credits... thats pretty cheap.
My post-bacc was costing me about $350-400 per credit

The reason post-bacc is more expensive than typical undergrad (even tho your taking the same classes as an undergrad) is because you are considered a "super senior".

After all the fees I pay, it is pretty close to that. My credits are less than $200 per credit, but my total is about $250 per credit. I think that is more than fair. Consider your dental school debt. Your 250 per credit seems borderline unimportant when considering how much dental school will cost!

After all the fees I pay, it is pretty close to that. My credits are less than $200 per credit, but my total is about $250 per credit. I think that is more than fair. Consider your dental school debt. Your 250 per credit seems borderline unimportant when considering how much dental school will cost!

I completely agree! I'm not saying that the prices are unfair. I went through my undergraduate career with a load of financial aid. However, now that I am a graduate (which means I need to get bank loans which are harder to get unless you have pretty good credit or a good credited co-signer) I was just looking for an alternative method of doing a post-bacc without having to pay AS MUCH AS what I would have to pay at a CSU.

Thank you though for the feedback!

I have a question about informal postbacc too, how many credits are recommended for informal postbacc? i am currently taking genetics+lab, immunology and vaccine ( total of 10 credits all bio 300 400 levels ) and working 3 days a week. Do you think that is a good load? or should I do more credits? I am worried about genetics I heard its really hard. Would it matter if I take 6 credits instead of 10? Thinking of dropping Genetics and take it next semester instead.