Question about potent Stimulates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modest_anteater

Walgreens @ Austin, Texas.
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading about Desoxyn on Lexicomp and found this interesting tidbit in adverse effects:
"
• CNS effects: Amphetamines may impair the ability to engage in potentially hazardous activities; patients must be cautioned about performing tasks which require mental alertness (eg, operating machinery or driving)."

I believe this to be an error. Amphetamines and methamphetamine are know for increasing focus and ability to perform tasks at a faster rate. Can anyone link me to a study or explain why this is listed as a ADR for this drug?

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading about Desoxyn on Lexicomp and found this interesting tidbit in adverse effects:
"
• CNS effects: Amphetamines may impair the ability to engage in potentially hazardous activities; patients must be cautioned about performing tasks which require mental alertness (eg, operating machinery or driving)."

I believe this to be an error. Amphetamines and methamphetamine are know for increasing focus and ability to perform tasks at a faster rate. Can anyone link me to a study or explain why this is listed as a ADR for this drug?
You ever see someone on crystal meth?

Reactions: 3 users
You ever see someone on crystal meth?
I mean that is at at much higher doses of methamphetamine than we are talking about here. Also it says amphetamines too. So it means Adderall. So people on Adderall should not be operating vehicles due to impaired CNS function?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean that is at at much higher doses of methamphetamine than we are talking about here. Also it says amphetamines too. So it means Adderall. So people on Adderall should not be operating vehicles due to impaired CNS function?
The adverse effect wasn’t listed as only occurring when dosed appropriately. If someone who needs 5mg of Adderall is on 30+mg, they may not be good to drive. Because it is treating a subjective symptom, there is no way to know the dose is correct with a high level of certainty.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you understand how adverse effects get reported and listed in monographs? I assure you it's not just the adverse effects you see at therapeutic doses.

Also Amphetamines are hardly the only drugs that have paradoxical side effects. Think of the excitation from diphenhydramine as one example.

Reactions: 3 users
[popcorn gif of a guy watching a prepharm trying to debate toxicology with two papered pharmacists]

Amphetamines aren't guaranteed to enhance focus in the intended manner. For instance, B+ student decides to use amphetamines to enhance academic performance; instead of taking notes and focusing on the presenter during lecture, he instead can't seem to take his attention away from watching birds outside the window (true but funny story).

Reactions: 1 user
Lol, you are being mean. It’s nice to answer a question that is vaguely clinical. :p

Next up:

"Wait.

Amiodarone is for FIXING heart rhythm!
Why is arrhythmia listed as a side effect!?"

Next up:

"Wait.

CdC_qVFWwAEQRNW.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Next up:

"Wait.

If warfarin is for blood thinning why does the risk for clots increase when you first start taking it?! If allopurinol prevents gout attacks why should I wait for my attack to resolve before starting it?!

Next up: why are oncological drugs used when they themselves can cause neoplasms??

Amphetamines aren't guaranteed to enhance focus in the intended manner. For instance, B+ student decides to use amphetamines to enhance academic performance; instead of taking notes and focusing on the presenter during lecture, he instead can't seem to take his attention away from watching birds outside the window (true but funny story).

Everyone knows you're supposed to take Adderall during academic activities, not before.

Another real world scenario: fighter pilots using amphetamines inadvertently take part in friendly fire; whilst they have the focus and coordination to perform (despite immense physical fatigue from long shifts), they are certainly mentally impaired in identifying the enemy.

US pilots blame drug for friendly fire deaths

Last edited:
So is, "why can't i see the curvature of the Earth?"
I know all kinds of obscure pharmacy things. The reason I do is because I asked questions. Questions are good. I’ll take easy to answer questions that show someone is actually thinking about the material over the student who asks nothing every time.
High level stupidness. Why are LABA associated with increased risk of death it's a vasodilatior!!
*bronchodilator
Another real world scenario: fighter pilots using amphetamines inadvertently take part in friendly fire; whilst they have the focus and coordination to perform (despite immense physical fatigue from long shifts), they are certainly mentally impaired in identifying the enemy.

US pilots blame drug for friendly fire deaths
That’s why the military is/was switching to Provigil.

Reactions: 2 users
I know all kinds of obscure pharmacy things. The reason I do is because I asked questions. Questions are good. I’ll take easy to answer questions that show someone is actually thinking about the material over the student who asks nothing every time.

*bronchodilator

That’s why the military is/was switching to Provigil.
Created by DARPA to combat warrior fatigue and create a 7 day soldier capable of performing with little or no sleep.

So is, "why can't i see the curvature of the Earth?"

I like your posts most of the time (they can be funny and informative at times), but I don’t think you should be condescending if someone is legitimately trying to learn. I don’t think it’s good to creat a hostile environment where people are afraid to ask questions.

If I remember correctly, you yourself just asked about Menactra + Bexero just last week? Someone knowledgeable could have easily called you stupid too, but no one did and they were all very helpful. I also learned something new in that thread as well.

Questions are good. Just because we were taught something in pharmacy school, doesn't mean that all the current-day pharmacy schools are teaching it.

It varies. People on a stable dose of Adderall (or other potentially mind-altering drug) are probably OK. But certain individuals may not be, and anytime someone is starting a new drug like this, or having the dose change, they may have an adjustment period before they will be safe to operate a vehicle.

I like your posts most of the time (they can be funny and informative at times), but I don’t think you should be condescending if someone is legitimately trying to learn. I don’t think it’s good to creat a hostile environment where people are afraid to ask questions.

If I remember correctly, you yourself just asked about Menactra + Bexero just last week? Someone knowledgeable could have easily called you stupid too, but no one did and they were all very helpful. I also learned something new in that thread as well.

Lol, i was operating under the assumption that the OP asking about "stimulates" was a pre-pharm student interested in posturing, and not a pharm.d. candidate asking a genuine question