Question about pre-reqs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a question that regards entrance into medical school. I am a second year pre-med and feel I know a lot about the requirements for entrance into medical school. However, my friend back in my home state in Florida is under the impression that she is going to go to medical school without taking the pre-med requirements (1 year of chem, 1 year of organic chem, 1 year of biology, 1 year of physics, etc). She said she spoke with her doctor and she said she doesn't need to take the pre-reqs just get her bachelors degree in psychology.

I think my friend is absolutely clueless and needs a reality check. She wants to be an OB/GYN doctor and is currently enrolled in a community college. I really wanted to send her a letter with a list of pre-reqs so she doesn't just waste another year away taking useless classes. I guess the counseling resourses at her school are not up to par. Before I sent her this letter I wanted to make sure I was right about all this. Am I missing an exception to the rule? Thanks for your help.

AWhitehair

Members don't see this ad.

You should get a copy of the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) book. It lists the pre-reqs for every medical school.. Although some schools differ on courses such as calculus, I believe just about all require 1 year each of bio, gen chem, orgo, physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
That pre-med advisor is clueless and your friend needs to investigate to make sure her application does not go immediately to the trash pile. Is she even aware of the MCAT?

In addition to the MSAR suggestion, go out and look at the admissions requirements on the school's websites. Almost all of them will list the Bio, Chem, Phys and Org Chem requirements. Send her the links and show her what she needs to have.

You are totally correct.
1 year Biology with labs for both parts
1 year of general chemistry with labs for both parts
1 year of physics with labs for both parts
1 year of organic with labs for both parts
1 year of English
AND 1 year of college MATH

Those are the required courses that are the MINIMUM that you can apply with. You can apply without a degree if you have 90 credits BUT that is only for the very very very very qualified and not many of us fit that bill.

So 99.9999% of applicants must have a 4 year degree and have taken all the required courses listed above and have taken the MCAT and have clinical experiences whether paid or volunteer and have a great personal essay and great letters of rec from our professors and places we have worked or volunteered.

Your friend is delusional.

You need to finish those prereqs before matriculation, not before application. You can be accepted into med school as long as you provide a reasonable timeline of how you will finish the prereqs before you attend medical school

Thank you for all of your replys. I will try to convince her that she needs to fufill these requirements before entrance into medical school, but she is kinda hard-headed. The last time I spoke with her about this she said she changed her major to psychology because she didn't want to take all the science classes for biology. When she said that I informed her that she might as well be a bio major because she would still have to take the science classes for the pre-med requirements. She didn't believe me then, so I'm not sure she will believe me now. I think I might buy her that MSAR book for her birthday! :laugh:

Thanks again!

AWhitehair

That is correct all pre-recs must be completed before matriculating, however most schools want you the have the pre-recs done when you apply and you have to have them for the MCAT.

i wouldnt believe any doctor seeing how if they are not affiliated with the admissions process at a med school they would know nothing about the admissions process anymore since its prolly been many many years since they have been through the process...and of course the requirements could have been very different back then.

you have to take the core prereqs for like almost every medical school in the US.
shes lucky to have a friend like you.

Also be sure to tell your friend that a vast number of medical schools require these sciences courses (listed by others above) to be taught by Biology/Chemistry/Physics Department and courses taken at Allied Health Departments are not accepted. In addition some require College Calculus to be completed also (taught by Math department). Hope that helps