question about predents.com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doh Boy Fresh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here is my question:

The front page of predents.com ranks school by what ever category you choose - out of state acceptance rate, for example. Are the numbers for these rankings based on the stats of students who register with pre-dents alone or is it based on each university's stats that it posts?

Also, if you are a "competitive" applicant, what are the chances for an interview, and after an interview, what are the chances of acceptance at a dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

the category you choose to rank the schools by is according to the stats reported by the ADEA in their official guide to dental school. from my understanding, these scores are reported directly to the ADEA from the dental schools themselves based on the stats of individuals enrolled.

as for your second question, it varies completely with the school that one is applying to. it also depends on when you submit your application, extracurriculars, LORs, research etc. no one can really say if you are going to be granted an interview at a school since every school looks for something different. in terms of getting an acceptance after you interview, i think the general consensus is that the earlier you interview (pre-December) the better your chances are since you are competing for more open spots than if you were to interview post-December 1st.

Also, if you are a "competitive" applicant, what are the chances for an interview, and after an interview, what are the chances of acceptance at a dental school?

The questions can't be answered with a decent answer due to the large number of variables involved. Certainly a competitive applicant has a greater interview opportunity than a non-competitive applicant. By definition a non-competitive applicant really isn't even competing for an interview spot. But what determines competitiveness is going to vary from school to school, and even from applicant to applicant.

Grades and DAT score are the usual methods by which interviews are given out. But after that, in my opinion, it's a level playing field, and those with the higher numbers are NOT at an advantage of those with lesser numbers. The interview process is an attempted examination of your character and motivation--numbers don't always correlate with those items (but sometimes they do).

Some schools may be difficult to get an interview at, but may accept most of those they interview. Others may give out few interviews in relation to the overall number of applicants, and then give out few acceptances in relation to the number of interviews.