Question about Predents...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UtahDad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!! I was just looking over a bunch of schools on Predents.com, but now have a question. On Predents.com, it tells you how many member applied to each school, how many of those applicants got interviews, accepted, waitlisted, etc. However, the number never add up. Example: VCU 82 applied, 7 accepted, 3 waitlisted, and 18 rejected. What happened to the other 54 people. I'm sure the information is incomplete, but is it possible that we may never hear back from some of the schools we applied to? Just wondering...it seems like everyone should get at least a rejection from every school they applied to (but I don't want too many of those!!)

Members don't see this ad.

I think some people don't bother to update their status...

It sucks, but last time I applied... I didn't hear ANYTHING from about half the schools I applied to. I know they had received all of my stuff... just never gave me any type of response. I had a horrible gpa, so i didn't expect much. I bet they just opened up my application and started laughing so hard that they thought it was a joke, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
dmonee6 said:
It sucks, but last time I applied... I didn't hear ANYTHING from about half the schools I applied to. I know they had received all of my stuff... just never gave me any type of response. I had a horrible gpa, so i didn't expect much. I bet they just opened up my application and started laughing so hard that they thought it was a joke, haha.

Predents.com post get all the schools avg: DAT, PAT, GPA, SGPA, and the number of applicants plus spots from the dental schools. The other numbers your getting are from predents members, example being IU got 1600 apps last year, only 82 of those applicants were on predents.com. On there webpage they plug a book with all the dental school stats and such, they cite their information from there. Regardless of the seemingly missleading stats the site is quite useful.

Predents.com started out strong now it is just dwindling. It's a shame really.

RockstarDMD said:
Predents.com started out strong now it is just dwindling. It's a shame really.
Think so? It seems as useful as it ever was, but you are right in a way, I dont go there nearly as often as I used to. Nothing new really, but maybe that is because we are so early in the application cycle. I dont think it will ever be useless though. Many of the folks who visit here will eventually end up there and get sucked in for a couple hours. Frankly, many of my choices of the schools I applied to were influenced heavily by predents.com. Anyways, you make an interesting point.

I think predents.com is still helpful, but until more people start getting interviews, there won't be that many entries. Also, I don't think that the cycles are going to be updated any time soon

I wish I would have known about predents before I applied to a couple of schools, that only take 5-10% out of staters, I could have saved some money.

dmonee6 said:

You're not kidding. I just heard back a couple of weeks ago from a school that I interviewed at last October. Meanwhile school starts at Tufts on Tuesday for me. Some dental schools never give you the courtesy of ever responding to your application at all. They sure cash that check quickly though.

I wish I would have known about predents before I applied to a couple of schools, that only take 5-10% out of staters, I could have saved some money.

The ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools lists how many out of state students were accepted last year to each school and which states they were from. It also lists avg PAT, DAT, Sci GPA, cumul. GPA, etc for every school.

It used to be considered the most valuable thing to have while applying... most people seem to have forgotten it exists.

I think predents.com is still helpful, but until more people start getting interviews, there won't be that many entries. Also, I don't think that the cycles are going to be updated any time soon

<---- Still waiting on a differentiation between cycles.

pdizzle just started dental school, didn't he? I'm sure he's got plenty of free time to work on the website :laugh:

This is why I said it is dwindling, and just to reiterate it is a shame.

<---- Still waiting on a differentiation between cycles.

Same here. I want to see what is happening with the 2007 cycle people as we go through this process. It sucks that our information is mixed in with people that already went through all of this.