Question about prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that for dental school admission, you have to take 1 of year biology, 1 year of organic chemistry, 1 year of general chemistry, 1 year of math, 1 year of physics, etc... But is it worth it to take one year of biochemistry/English/literature/social sciences, since some school also require this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you have BA degree from undergrad you should already have the Eng/SocSci etc. requirements. Biochem is a good idea.

You need a degree. Getting the requirements alone is not enough

Actually, if you have a very high GPA, a high score on the DAT, and all the other intangibles you can get in to certain schools with just 90 credits and no degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would one quarter of biochemistry be enough for most schools?

u really dont need a year of math
- Danny

u really dont need a year of math
- Danny

My major requires it, so can't really do anything about that.

BTW, at the time that you apply to dental school, do you need to have all of your prerequisites completed? Will the schools hold it against you if this isn't the case?

my freind got into a few schools missing orgo, but he had to complete it before matriculation
- Danny

Each schools website usually states somewhere near the prereqs., the time you must complete them by. I wouldn't rely on having a high GPA and DAT score and hoping for an exemption from some prereqs. UCLA's email says explicitly "No exceptions!". If you can fit it in your schedule you need to also take Microbiology w/ lab. It seems like this class as a prereq. is increasing. Michigan just started requiring Micro. lecture this year.

i have noticed a few schools have added extra courses to their requirements. the ones I have seen (at different schools) have been microbiology w/ lab, anatomy and physiology w/ lab, biochemistry, social science, psycology. Just make sure you meet enough requirements to apply to all the schools you are interested in. gl

Question: is it worth having taken 3 quarters of biochemistry at the time that you apply to dental school(s) if it means 'cramming', or would 2 quarters be alright for most schools?

Most schools don't have Biochnem as a requirement. I would take the easiest/shortest Biochem and just get an "A"(biochem for non-majors). There is no need to take a horrendous BioChem major course.

The Basic science courses in D-school are actually easier than the Undergrad classes. They are just crammed into smaller time frame.

^Thanks.

BTW, when some schools say that they require one semester of biochem, is that one quarter, or two?

^Thanks.

BTW, when some schools say that they require one semester of biochem, is that one quarter, or two?
2 quarters = 1 semester