question about psy D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have glazed over a lot of the threads on here, but was wondering if I could get more specific answers to the following quesitons?

1)What exactly does a Psy D degree allow you to do? I know you can't prescribe meds right? so, what is it that they actually do?

2) In terms of salary i heard it depends on where you live and what you do? If I want to practice in the chicago land area, is it hard to find a job, what are the different specialities and salaries for each field.

3)Do psy d usually work in a private office or academic setting

4)what's the average gpa for accepted psy d students

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ucd said:
Hey everyone,

I have glazed over a lot of the threads on here, but was wondering if I could get more specific answers to the following quesitons?

1)What exactly does a Psy D degree allow you to do? I know you can't prescribe meds right? so, what is it that they actually do?

2) In terms of salary i heard it depends on where you live and what you do? If I want to practice in the chicago land area, is it hard to find a job, what are the different specialities and salaries for each field.

Thanks

Not to be rude or anything of the sort, take a look at this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=204214

I think your questions are answered in this thread.

hey ucd: Are from Davis? If so try to find Karin Neilson..she teaches psc 165 and is very knowledgeable about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucd said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks
In a nutshell: psychiatrists are MDs who have gone to med school and specialized in psychiatry. They prescribe meds. Clinical psychologists are either PhDs or PsyDs, the main differences (generally speaking) being that PhDs tend to receive more training in research, and are prepared for academic careers, while PsyDs receive more training in practice, and are prepared for careers working directly with clients or patients. This is a general statement, because in fact there are Psyd graduates who have academic positions, and many a PhD who is a psychotherapist, but in theory the distinctions hold true in many cases. It depends on the program you choose also, as some are weighted in one direction, i.e., I happen to be in a PsyD program, but one which follows a training model that looks more like a clinically oriented PhD program! (No wonder you're confused!) I recommend Norcross et al.'s Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical Psychology (at least I think that's the title, if memory serves). It has more detailed info., as well as listings of all APA approved programs.

Hey Twiggers, I am indeed from UC DAVIS and will try to find this professor.

Can any of you guys tell me what whether this profession is oversaturated and hard to find a job or whether its a hot field to enter.

What the average salary for a psy d, I know its different depending what your practice emphasis on, but generally speaking?