Road2PT-MK

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I'm currently writing my main PTCAS essay on professionalism and I've run into a little bit of a snag. It might be silly to ask but is it appropriate to write about an experience I had with a patient in the essay?? Obviously withholding name and all the serious identifiers, I just wasn't sure if it was okay seeing how its an essay on PROFESSIONALISM. Is this borderline unethical in this type of essay or am I over exaggerating?

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2010
Status
Physical Therapist
Yes! Absolutely. Again like you said, wash the essay of identifiers including specific location or identifying traits. Focus on you of course when you talk about the experience. I think that's a great thing to include. (If you have further questions, send your essay over to the clinic where you observed for a sanity check).

OP
R

Road2PT-MK

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Yes! Absolutely. Again like you said, wash the essay of identifiers including specific location or identifying traits. Focus on you of course when you talk about the experience. I think that's a great thing to include. (If you have further questions, send your essay over to the clinic where you observed for a sanity check).
Okay what about speaking on a certain illness they have (not the reason why they are being seen) that really helps explain the story? Does that still sound within bounds?

Jul 2, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Okay what about speaking on a certain illness they have (not the reason why they are being seen) that really helps explain the story? Does that still sound within bounds?
As long as you don't specify their name or anything that could be used to identify them you should be fine! Follow HIPPA :)

OP
R

Road2PT-MK

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Alright so this same essay I finally got around to completing it. :)

I was wondering if there's anybody out there willing to give me feedback on my essay? I'm very close to having everything I need to apply for this years cycle.