question about quality of a few res progs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indytravl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise about the following PM&R residency programs? How good are they in terms of education & competitiveness for fellowships, & how bad are they in terms of just scut work? Any inside scoop? Inhouse call vs home call? Running codes, severity of illness in the inpatient population, etc...

Schwab Rehab Hosp (chicago, il)
Univ of Missouri (columbia, il)
SUNY Buffalo (buffalo, ny)
Univ of Virginia (charlottesvill, va)

I'd like to eventually do a pain management fellowship & outpt rehab. Does anyone have any insight/recommendations?

thanks,
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Bump, specifically in regards to MU--Columbia in regards to the ability to attain fellowships in pain.

To be honest, I don't really know much about the programs that you have listed. The only ones I've heard about are Schwab and UVa. I think the UVa program is probably the top one of all the programs you have listed. Dr. Kerrigan just left our program to take the chair at UVa. From what I've heard (she left before I arrived), she is extremely bright and should really help the program. The program also has a Interventional Pain fellowship that is jointly run by PM&R and Anesthesia. I've also heard good things about the Division of Spine and Sports Care at UVa. You might want to check out the website:

http://www.med.virginia.edu/medicine/clinical/phys-med-rehab/resprog.html

I've heard the Schwab program referred to once by a RIC resident as the baby RIC. Then again, why not just try to match at RIC?

I don't know much about the other two programs other than the fact that I almost went to the combined IM/PM&R residency interview at SUNY Buffalo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard good things about the UVA program, did not interview there.

As for Schwab, I did interview there and live in Chicago. It is in a terrible location in Chicago, very ghetto area. Not a very safe location to work in, IMHO. However, the residents do rotate at other, nicer sites, and have affiliations with RIC. The program director is a very nice woman. The location made me rank them very low on my list, however.

As for a pain management fellowship, the best way to get a spot is to land a residency at a program with such fellowships already in place. Even though I interviewed at top-tier programs, the number and types of fellowships were surprisingly limited at most programs, especially regarding pain and spine fellowships. UC Davis has a pain fellowship, RIC has a "non-invasive" pain fellowship, U. Mich has an interventional spine fellowship, and two pain fellowships (one each through anesthesiology and soon the PM&R department), Spaulding has a pain fellowship. I cannot remember if U. Wash has either. The other route to securing a fellowship is to go to a residency that will give you away-electives, so you can audition at other fellowship sites. Harvard had the most away time, followed by RIC. Away electives seemed to be lacking in every other program I interviewed at.

best of luck!

thank you for your thoughts. so glad that you took time to give advice. it's really helpful....

does anyone have anything about suny buffalo? the res prog director is dr.tom polisoto & the new chairman is dr.shanker nesathurai (from boston univ, editor of the pocket handbooks from one of the pmr society's, which looked pretty good).

buffalo has a pain fellowship. I'm interested in interventional pain management & wondered if anyone knows how buffalo ranks & of other programs that take pmr applicants since most are anesthesia run.

many thanks again. your thoughts are appreciated.
[email protected]