Question about ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro4294

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

First of all, congratulations to all of you for being done with the interview!! I am currently having hard time ranking me few choices and I am hoping to hear some wise words from my future colleagues. Thanks in advance,

1. NYU (nyc in itself is attractive. expensive living cost though. Impressive program)
2. Emory (very huge program, fairly nice location with beautiful weather)
3. Brown (smaller program with faculty size of 30ish, 650ish bed, providence with low living cost, fellowship match is decent)
4. Albert Einstein
5. Mayo Jacksonville (beautiful hospital, excellent support for residents)
6. UAB (very unexpected surprise! Faculty size, representation of all subspecialties, R25 involvement)
7. UNC

This is my tentative rank list. For me, living cost is an issue and so I dont know if I should keep NYU as number 1(but still would love to experience NYC). Also, for those who interviewed at Brown, how was the experience for you?
What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Providence is dope - RISDi is the bomb. Can't comment on the program though, as I applied only categorical. New England is a great place to forage for delicious edible mushrooms so you can save money on food. If you're you looking for a good cost of living, scoot UAB and UNC up there. I don't really see a logical pattern - prestige?

Hello guys,

First of all, congratulations to all of you for being done with the interview!! I am currently having hard time ranking me few choices and I am hoping to hear some wise words from my future colleagues. Thanks in advance,

1. NYU (nyc in itself is attractive. expensive living cost though. Impressive program)
2. Emory (very huge program, fairly nice location with beautiful weather)
3. Brown (smaller program with faculty size of 30ish, 650ish bed, providence with low living cost, fellowship match is decent)
4. Albert Einstein
5. Mayo Jacksonville (beautiful hospital, excellent support for residents)
6. UAB (very unexpected surprise! Faculty size, representation of all subspecialties, R25 involvement)
7. UNC

This is my tentative rank list. For me, living cost is an issue and so I dont know if I should keep NYU as number 1(but still would love to experience NYC). Also, for those who interviewed at Brown, how was the experience for you?
What do you guys think?

It might be easier for more people to help if you provided a little more info based on what you're looking for in a program/prioritizing (ie size, location, research vs clinical balance, fellowship interests, etc).

Based on what you said regarding living costs, I'd agree with medreckoning that UAB and UNC could be moved up on your list.