Question about ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thrombus

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what are your feelings about the other 7 programs? You may be way more competitive than you think

I woudln't mind living in this place and some faculty at my school said it is ok. But I got the feeling that the faculty was strange and that the program was as the resident in another program described.

I went with my gut instinct on my rank list as well as with my decision to do second looks. My second looks made all the difference to me: one program rolled out the red carpet and went out of their way to make me feel welcome, the other didn't really do squat and kind of made me think they had something to hide. This is what my gut was telling me all along. So listen to your heart/alimentary tract, rank where you REALLY want to go, not where you think you will match because someone at your top program may have liked you a lot.

I'm a little unclear about what the decision is that you are trying to make. Are you saying that you interviewed at nine, you are ranking eight, and it's that eighth program you are questioning ranking at all? If so, then not ranking it would leave you with seven programs on your list. If you've had academic troubles, as you said (and you're not the only one on this board to have that problem), then I would feel a little uncomfortable ranking only seven. I would plan to rank that eighth, then if I matched there, go for a year, and if you're really miserable, then try to switch programs. Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but with Path getting more competitive, it might be better to match and switch after a year than to scramble.

I'm not a strong applicant either and will be ranking nine.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, obviously i will be ranking the other 7 programs ahead of this one

i am just wondering what my chances are to get something better in the scramble

also how easy is it to transfer?

next year i would think there will be more spots open with the 2 classes graduating

i know most programs are trying to open up more spots gradually but some are not and regardless, i expect next year to be easier

so perhaps ranking this and hoping for a transfer would be a good option if things do not work out

Thrombus said:
yeah, obviously i will be ranking the other 7 programs ahead of this one

i am just wondering what my chances are to get something better in the scramble

also how easy is it to transfer?

next year i would think there will be more spots open with the 2 classes graduating

i know most programs are trying to open up more spots gradually but some are not and regardless, i expect next year to be easier

so perhaps ranking this and hoping for a transfer would be a good option if things do not work out

Thrombus: you'll be totally fine, no need to have a P.E. ... :laugh:
ok, enuf Virchow humor, but seriously no way you'll even get that far down on your rank order. If those 8 places gave you an interview, they're seriously considering you. Trust yourself in that. Still, i'd rank that last place over scrambling...

SLUsagar said:
Thrombus: you'll be totally fine, no need to have a P.E. ... :laugh:
ok, enuf Virchow humor, but seriously no way you'll even get that far down on your rank order. If those 8 places gave you an interview, they're seriously considering you. Trust yourself in that. Still, i'd rank that last place over scrambling...

i agree. rank them all. i was a pretty average american graduate last year who, due to some unknown reason, matched with my #9. and this was after getting lots of positive feedback from many programs. so, crazy things do happen, so unless you hate a program so much that you would rather scramble and run the risk of having to take a year off, i say rank them all.

agreed with the above. our dean of students tells us to rank all programs that we could see ourselves ending up at. anything you get out of the match, he says, is much much better than having to go through the scramble.

I would echo the previous two comments - you have nothing to lose by ranking all of them (assuming you could tolerate at least one year at the ranked place) and much to gain - no scramble, no year off, etc.

path19 said:
i agree. rank them all. i was a pretty average american graduate last year who, due to some unknown reason, matched with my #9. and this was after getting lots of positive feedback from many programs. so, crazy things do happen, so unless you hate a program so much that you would rather scramble and run the risk of having to take a year off, i say rank them all.

Oh my god, #9, really? I didn't think that kind of thing happened in Path. One more thing to worry about! :(

Just recently I looked through the list of programs that didn't fill last year. I was having my obligatory weekly panic attack about not matching, and I wanted to see the options that were available last year. I regret canceling so many interviews out of sheer laziness. This is going to be a very long month. :(

jeff2005 said:
Just recently I looked through the list of programs that didn't fill last year. I was having my obligatory weekly panic attack about not matching, and I wanted to see the options that were available last year. I regret canceling so many interviews out of sheer laziness. This is going to be a very long month. :(
jeff, you're gonna do just fine! keep your chin up.

AndyMilonakis said:
jeff, you're gonna do just fine! keep your chin up.

how do you post so fast?! It's amazing! And, thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you will do fine - the problem is that all you can really do between now and match day is worry. I don't think anyone is really immune to it. It is hard to get one's hopes up, since you don't want to disappoint yourself in the event you don't get #1. But have confidence that things will work out for the best! :thumbup: They will.

AndyMilonakis said:
it's my computer hacking skillz!

Add those to your nunchuck skills and your prowess with the bo staff and you are irresistable to the ladies...

jeff2005 said:

I looked through the unfilled programs list about three days ago. It's irritating since a lot of those are probably CP only, so how can I obsess properly if I don't know the correct number of unfilled positions? I mean, come on!

stormjen said:
I looked through the unfilled programs list about three days ago. It's irritating since a lot of those are probably CP only, so how can I obsess properly if I don't know the correct number of unfilled positions? I mean, come on!
Where did you find the unfilled list? I looked at NRMP section for unfilled spots, but it was blank - like it was for this year's list. How do you get the info on previous years?

Look at the left column on scutwork.com

Also your advising office should have it.

Yeah, I got the info from scutwork. I love that site but wish more people would submit reviews.

stormjen said:
Yeah, I got the info from scutwork. I love that site but wish more people would submit reviews.
Well, let's make a pact. All of us. When we start our residencies next year, we must all post our review of our respective programs on scutwork. Who's in?

I'm definitely in. Especially if I make it into one of my top programs, I plan to really promote it. I figure helping to bring in good residents is the best chance I'd have of personally improving the program--other than doing research there.

AndyMilonakis said:
Well, let's make a pact. All of us. When we start our residencies next year, we must all post our review of our respective programs on scutwork. Who's in?

Count me in!!! I was planning on writing a review after I match...I used scutwork to determine where I would do my 4th year away rotations. As a result, I got an interview at a great program that would've otherwise shredded my application upon its arrival!! I'm not the strongest applicant on paper, but I work hard and LOVE path. :love:

stormjen said:
I'm definitely in. Especially if I make it into one of my top programs, I plan to really promote it. I figure helping to bring in good residents is the best chance I'd have of personally improving the program--other than doing research there.

Great point. I wish more people felt that way.

stormjen said:

If I match at Iowa, UNC, or Alabama, I'll be a propaganda machine. :D

AndyMilonakis said:
I'm definitely in! I love helping students out who are interested in path. I'm already infecting the younguns coming up through the ranks at my school. :smuggrin: It was tough picking programs blindly on my ERAS app so I hope we can help those coming after us to make informed decisions!

jeff2005 said:
If I match at Iowa, UNC, or Alabama, I'll be a propaganda machine. :D

So what happened to MUSC, Jeff? I didn't notice it on your latest ROL.