Question about re-applying and re-taking the MCAT this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fortunately

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I posted this in another area of the forum earlier today not realizing there was a seperate section for re-applicants...

I applied to 19 schools in the 2011 cycle and recieved no invites to interview (I still haven't heard from six schools, but I'm assuming that given the timing, my chances are beyond slim). I'm planning to re-apply this summer, and after hearing feedback from schools I applied to, it sounds like my MCAT score was really what held me back. I'll need to make a significant jump (~5 points) to be competitive so I'm trying to figure out what test date in the summer I should shoot for. From past experience, testing has been tough but I'm confident that if I give myself enough time to prepare and really go at it hard, I can make this happen. Given all that, I have two main questions:

1) If I plan to re-submit my AMCAS June 1, would it put me at a significant disadvantage to re-take my MCAT July 28? I want to give myself as much time as possible to really do well, but I also don't want to delay my application and in doing so, shoot myself in the foot from the start. I'm really uncomfortable taking the test in June because previously I crammed studying into two months and it was too much of a time crunch. Plus, I'd like to take another test prep course and do well, and since I'm working a full-time job, my schedule conflicts for classes prepping for the June dates, as well as early-mid July (6th and 16th).

2) Do you think it's a feasible plan to work on secondaries as they come while I'm studying for the re-take? Like I mentioned, I will also be working a full-time job, but I assumed that the secondary questions would likely be the same/some variation on last year's so I may be able to prepare them in advance (i.e. in April, as I work on prepping/updating my AMCAS before it opens).

To give you a bit of background about my application:

• My last MCAT score was a 29R (PS 9, BS 10, VR 10). This will be the third time I've taken the test, but the first was over 3 years ago (June 2007 when I recieved a 27).
  • Undergrad BCPM (top tier university): 3.16 (Most of my grades were B's to A-'s, but I got 2 or 3 B-'s that really brought it down)
  • Overall undergrad: 3.51
  • Undergrad english major
  • Grad BCPM (top tier 2 yr master's program in public health, with a social science focus): 3.63
  • Overall grad: 3.80
  • ECs: clinical shadowing, research assistant, teaching assistant, volunteering, internships with health-oriented non-profits, etc.
  • Applied to only MD schools last time around (ones with lower average GPA and MCAT scores) but this time I plan to apply to MD and DO schools.
  • Last cycle, I think timing hurt me the most: I submitted my AMCAS early July and most of my secondaries in mid-late August.
Any advice you have to offer as well as feedback about what my chances are for this cycle would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

(And sorry for the double post, if any of you saw this twice!)

Members don't see this ad.

That is tough. Personally I would just try DO this year as it is. Even a jump in the mcat (which isn't very likely) your sGPA is on the way low side, and your cGPA is on the mid to low side. What are your hesitations on DO?

I don't really have advice other than that because if you can't retake the MCAT so you do well (ie when it works in your schedule) than I don't know what you are gonna do. What happens if you score <29?

Nothing wrong with DO schools! That's why I'm applying to them this time around. I'm still applying to MDs though because I was advised that I could have some luck there if I applied strategically.

My main question is if it came down to taking the test July 28th vs. July 6th, would it hurt my chances (or I guess make them weaker than they already are) to take the later date and have the scores forwarded directly to schools if I thought I could do better then? I'm just wondering if schools would still consider my application as submitted early and review it with that first MCAT score and decide to wait on my second scores if interested, or would my application just be considered complete at the end of August and be at the bottom of the summer pile.

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is good enough for DO schools. Apply on the first day. Have a great essay (make them want to meet you). Apply smartly and broadly. I agree that your science GPA is low but they may look at your upward trend in grad school. A lot of getting in is luck and timing. It's like the lottery really. Re-apply, I wouldn't take the test again. Too risky.

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely understand what you mean about timing and luck. Timing will definitely be against me if I re-take the MCAT, that much I know. But I feel like not giving it another go and applying early with my 29 and hoping for the best would be putting almost too much faith in luck, you know? I'm pretty sure I can bring that score up, it's just a matter of whether it'll make any difference if schools would be getting those scores mid to late August anyway...

If I were applying only to DO schools, I think I'd do exactly what you're saying though. Is that what you're suggesting? Only DO?

Since I am a DO, that is the route I know. I would just worry about taking the MCAT again and your score going down. I guess it depends on what you are looking to do with your degree? If you plan to try something super competitive like rads, derm, ophtho, neurosurgery, cardiology, etc then of course do MD, not to say those careers aren't possbile as a DO but extremely difficult to obtain unless you are #1 in your class and the boards. However, if you plan to do primary care, gen surgery, IM, FP, peds, etc, then going DO isn't going to be an issue as far as residency is concerned.

Just remember that getting into medical school is about the total package, not just the MCAT. It is also about luck of the draw as well. Have someone look at your essay. I've looked at many essays lately that were blah, blah, blah where your eyes glazed over after the first paragraph. There is no right answer as to how to get in you just have to be smart about all aspects of your application and not focus on fixing something that is already good. Just my opinion.

I agree with Caninbuilder. Most school are looking at the entire package. While your scores might seem low, sometimes it is the luck of the draw...although, luck is not something that I am a believer in. I would not retake the mcat. I think that your scores are good considering. Perhaps you should research the schools you are applying to and what their typical class looks like. My friend was wait listed two years in a row. She changed the schools that she was applying to and she will be graduating from GWU in 2012. BTW: her MCAT scores were lower than yours (less than 25). She took two years of working in a hospital in Orlando. It you endure another year of a denial letter from all schools, consider enrolling in a science masters program if you decide not to enroll into a DO program.