question about reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purple4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm actually a first time applicant but would really value the advice from people who've already been through the process. So like I said, I'm applying to med school for the first time, but I don't feel very confident about my chances this time around. My question is, will my application be affected next year by the fact that I applied to certain schools one time already? I'm hearing different things and would appreciate if any of you could share what you may or may not have experienced. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The vast majority of schools will not hold it against you if you reapply to them. Some may even see it as determination. I personally cant think of any school where it would actually hurt you. Maybe some big ivy school.

Re-applying doesn't hurt your chances. There are certain schools that limits how many times you can apply (usually about 3 times). Otherwise there's nothing wrong with re-applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i def agree with megalofyia. i'm a reapplicant and most of my interviews have been from schools that interviewed me previously. it's my opinion that it is always good to try and get in contact with the admissions director or dean before you reapply so you can a) gauge your chances b) mention what you have done to improve your app and c) remind him/her of your interest in attending. i've made it a point to keep in touch with admissions people from schools i previously interviewed at and, in a couple of cases, it has definitely paid off. i think some schools treat reapplicants just like any other applicant. but, i've had interviewers tell me that they have a lot of admiration for those who've gone through this process more than once. anyway, best of luck to you. hopefully you'll get in this year and won't have to worry about reapps. :thumbup:

thank you!

your replies have been very encouraging. :)

good luck to you all!

once you go through one round of applications and don't get in that first year (which i hope doesn't happen to you), then you have the option of doing early decision next year. i would strongly recommend that if you have a favorite school. it'll let the school know that you want to go there the most, and of course that'll make them want you more.

i have also received 4 out of 5 interviews to schools i have reapplied to...i don't think they look down on it :)

There is nothing wrong with re-applying, BUT...make sure that you aren't just applying the first time and not prepared. It will hurt you to spend the money, time, and stress to apply if you aren't ready. Try your hardest the first time... don't try with the mentality to just see what happens, because you can try again. Try your best first, and if need be, you can reapply the following year.

Just my $0.02 (I'm a second year applicant btw, just received my first acceptance yesterday).

careful of the schools that dont even look at your app until the very end... they just say here ok, now pay us moneuy and go to the next step, and on and on... they never look at it....