Question about reapplying...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToledoPike

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I tried to look for a topic about this using search but couldnt find many concrete things. Anyways, here i go...

This may be kind of a stupid question, but I was wondering if there is any consequence from reapplying if you dont get in your first time? I am mentioning this because I just found out that I can most likely graduate a semester earlier than I expected (so Spring 2008 instead of Fall 2008) which is great news. One thing I am worried about though is that I havent taken the MCAT yet (doing so in August) and have not really gotten anything together yet for applying for med school.

Now, I am going to make sure that this graduation can happen that Spring before I do anything, but if so, am I way too late to start the process? How soon or when can I start to apply and such? Also, I am guessing the answer to this is yes, but am I quite hindered from not having my MCAT out of the way yet?

Also, a main thing is that if I apply and dont get accepted this time around, does that stick with me in the future for reapplying?

Take note that I am not lacking confidence (3.96 GPA in chemical engineering, Good ECs and volunteering, etc), but just wondering if I am really too late to jump in the process now. I really dont want to go a year of no school at all by waiting to apply next year.

Please just let me know any thoughts you guys may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I tried to look for a topic about this using search but couldnt find many concrete things. Anyways, here i go...

This may be kind of a stupid question, but I was wondering if there is any consequence from reapplying if you dont get in your first time? I am mentioning this because I just found out that I can most likely graduate a semester earlier than I expected (so Spring 2008 instead of Fall 2008) which is great news. One thing I am worried about though is that I havent taken the MCAT yet (doing so in August) and have not really gotten anything together yet for applying for med school.

Now, I am going to make sure that this graduation can happen that Spring before I do anything, but if so, am I way too late to start the process? How soon or when can I start to apply and such? Also, I am guessing the answer to this is yes, but am I quite hindered from not having my MCAT out of the way yet?

Also, a main thing is that if I apply and dont get accepted this time around, does that stick with me in the future for reapplying?

Take note that I am not lacking confidence (3.96 GPA in chemical engineering, Good ECs and volunteering, etc), but just wondering if I am really too late to jump in the process now. I really dont want to go a year of no school at all by waiting to apply next year.

Please just let me know any thoughts you guys may have!

There is no penalty for applying a second time if you didn't get in anywhere the first time. It's only if you got into a school it turned out you didn't like and then withdrew that you have a problem (admissions committees don't like that). A very few schools discourage more than 3 applications (UCLA and Harvard come to mind), but that isn't really applicable for your situation.

If you're talking about taking the MCAT this August (as in 2007), I see no reason why you couldn't apply in June of 2008. I mean, you could apply then even if you were taking it in August of 2008, you would just be at a disadvantage because a good proportion of interview invites would have already gone out by the time you got your scores back. Still, with a 3.96, good EC's and an MCAT over 30, I'm sure you'll do very well and have a choice of schools to attend.

I am taking the MCAT this summer, so I am possibly looking to apply now (which is what I am curious about). Am I too late to get into the AMCAS 2008 application process?

You won't be too late, but it will be somewhat later in the process when your entire application becomes complete. What I would recommend is submitting your AMCAS app ASAP and all secondaries that you might get, so that the only thing that the schools are waiting for is your MCAT score. Given your solid stats you have a good chance of getting in somewhere, provided you don't bomb the MCAT.