Question about reporting criminal conviction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed125

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had a criminal conviction for DUI in the past and I was honest about admitting it on my AMCAS application. Unfortunately, I was also charged with something else that was dismissed (deffered adjudication) after I completed probation stemming from the same incident. I didn't mention this because it was not a conviction, but I did whenever secondaries asked for any charges. These charges appear on my CBC.

Should I proactively send an addendum to all of the schools that didn't ask about charges to explain these charges? This has been my only brush with the law. I understand my chances are already hindered because of this and I want to be as honest as I need to be without shooting myself in the foot.

Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you answered the questions honestly, you're fine.

As long as what you said matches the background check they run, you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes sense, thank you. I'll continue to be completely honest about it. I do still wonder what I should do if I don't gain an acceptance this year? I'll call schools and ask for their feedback on my app and ask directly about what else I can do to show I've changed and matured. Perhaps participating in anti drunk driving advocacy would be a start, but it seems a little disingenuous. Whatever it takes, I'm prepared to do though. Thanks again for the input

i remember reading an article about DUI/DWI convictions and med school where basically if you completed the necessary classes/treatment etc, most won't mind too much. i heard they're just trying to make sure not to accept anyone with a criminal conviction that would keep them from gaining a residency position, since it would be pointless to go to 4 years of med school and then pretty much be SOL.

i have a DWI on my record and had another charge dismissed shortly before pleading out. most applications only ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime/misdemeanor, but a few will ask have you ever been charged and with what. luckily for me, however, my charges record gets destroyed after 2 years. and the med school i want to go to doesn't look at criminal offenses until AFTER the interview.. :D

As long as you paid attention to the wordings in both cases you should be cool. Just in case, for preparedness sake, you could run a state background check on yourself for about ten bucks and see what comes up. You should be cool though. Good job, honesty really is the best policy from what I hear when it comes to this.

So even though the dismissed charge came from the same incident, I didn't have to mention it in my AMCAS?

I just want to be absolutely sure, as I've been accepted to a school already and want to make sure I do things right with regard to this. I think I'm going to schedule a meeting as soon as I start my first year to go over how this thing could affect my career as a med student/physician.

Thanks again for your help.

10 bucks? the required background check for my school was 75. grr.

Yea, IDK. This is through the state patrol website. Med schools probably do a national FBI check, which I assume does cost more. For purposes of the OP though, if he has only lived in one state a state check should suffice.

I ran a CBC through the one the AAMC uses. The costs vary depending on what pops but it's at least 75 bucks and can be up to $200 I think.

The one from my state's DOJ is about $25 if I recall correctly.

haha, alright guys, any thoughts on the question at hand?

Should dismissed charges be reported on AMCAS if they stem from the same incident as a conviction?

haha, alright guys, any thoughts on the question at hand?

Should dismissed charges be reported on AMCAS if they stem from the same incident as a conviction?

What is the wording of the question? This is really something you should discuss with a knowledgeable lawyer.

It is the misdemeanor question on the AMCAS application. "Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor?" I was convicted of a misdemeanor but also charged with something else in the same case and the charge was dismissed.

"You must inform the Admissions Office of each medical school to which you apply if you are convicted of, or plead guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime"

I cannot find the original wording of the amcas question because it changed after i submitted my application. Can someone find this for me? It specifically says what you need to disclose or not. The above is in regards to if a new conviction is brought upon you after the primary submission

Members don't see this ad :)
It is the misdemeanor question on the AMCAS application. "Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor?" I was convicted of a misdemeanor but also charged with something else in the same case and the charge was dismissed.

"You must inform the Admissions Office of each medical school to which you apply if you are convicted of, or plead guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime"

I cannot find the original wording of the amcas question because it changed after i submitted my application. Can someone find this for me? It specifically says what you need to disclose or not. The above is in regards to if a new conviction is brought upon you after the primary submission

I really think you're good then. By answering the question according to the wording (not putting the crime you didn't get convicted of), you have the truth on your side and I really wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks chman, that was my reasoning too.

I'll talk to a lawyer about it as well, but it seems pretty clear that they only ask about convictions.

Thanks chman, that was my reasoning too.

I'll talk to a lawyer about it as well, but it seems pretty clear that they only ask about convictions.

Yea, good idea. I'm no expert...It doesn't take a law degree, however, to see that they can't expect an answer to a question they didn't ask.

PS: Make sure to print out a copy of the question you answered.,you never know if that could come in handy....

The AMCAS misdemeanor question specifically states to exclude mentioning any misdemeanor charges that were dismissed after completing probation.

Even if the dismissed charge still shows up on the school background check, it will say "dismissed" and shouldn't be a problem due to the fact that AMCAS specifically states to exclude any dismissed charges when filling out the app.

Some secondary applications may ask about charges in addition to convictions, so you would still need to list the offense there, but very few schools ask that.

Yeah, it's very clear, thanks. I was only concerned because the charge came from the same incident that led to the conviction, but if they wanted all charges related to each conviction it would state that as you all have said. Thanks again

Dude, you are being paranoid. "Charged" does not equal "convicted". If you were not convicted, then you do not have to list it when asked about convictions. However, if it asks for "charges" then you obviously must list it. BTW, most schools do not ask about "charges". Sounds like you are fine.

FullDisclosureCover.jpg
Dude, you are being paranoid. "Charged" does not equal "convicted". If you were not convicted, then you do not have to list it when asked about convictions. However, if it asks for "charges" then you obviously must list it. BTW, most schools do not ask about "charges". Sounds like you are fine.
:thumbup::thumbup:

The thread that was going around about driving with an expired license got me paranoid because it happened to me about 6 years ago, but I completely forgot about it. I didnt even know, but it turns out it is a misdemeanor in Texas. I ran a state criminal background on myself for $20 and luckily its clean. I was 17 at the time, I got my license immediately renewed, I didnt get arrested or anything, and paid the hefty fines so I dont know what happened with the charge.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if the background check is clean I dont have anything to worry about right?

The thread that was going around about driving with an expired license got me paranoid because it happened to me about 6 years ago, but I completely forgot about it. I didnt even know, but it turns out it is a misdemeanor in Texas. I ran a state criminal background on myself for $20 and luckily its clean. I was 17 at the time, I got my license immediately renewed, I didnt get arrested or anything, and paid the hefty fines so I dont know what happened with the charge.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if the background check is clean I dont have anything to worry about right?

You probably got lucky, because it is part of your juvenile record. Hopefully, you ran the cbc that medical schools use, and not some cheaper version. Also, just FYI, you can still be convicted of a crime even if you weren't arrested and taken to jail (too many people seem confused about this).

You probably got lucky, because it is part of your juvenile record. Hopefully, you ran the cbc that medical schools use, and not some cheaper version. Also, just FYI, you can still be convicted of a crime even if you weren't arrested and taken to jail (too many people seem confused about this).

I was going to run the CBC AMCAS schools use, but since I am planning on going to a Texas school I just ran a regular one bc neither the school nor TMDSAS specify which they use. Actually I think it varies by school, I just hope I didnt get duped by the CBC I got.

I was going to run the CBC AMCAS schools use, but since I am planning on going to a Texas school I just ran a regular one bc neither the school nor TMDSAS specify which they use. Actually I think it varies by school, I just hope I didnt get duped by the CBC I got.

You need to be careful with this. You could easily get in more trouble for lying than just admitting to a minor violation. Spend the $300 for the piece of mind and get a consultation with a lawyer that knows a lot about this kind of thing etc. Well worth it IMO.