Question about Research Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roflrice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on SDN, although I've been reading various threads for a few weeks now. I'm in the process of writing my "Significant Research Essay" for my MD/PHD application, and I had a question about the depth with which I should describe what methods I used.

I don't feel like I should be bogging down my essay with details about how I did experiments (like a methods section in a paper - that would be very boring and tedious), but rather just saying something along the lines of (I transfected cells, did an assay to measure fluorescence, etc.). Does that sound pretty reasonable?

Thanks for helping me out!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't feel like I should be bogging down my essay with details about how I did experiments (like a methods section in a paper - that would be very boring and tedious), but rather just saying something along the lines of (I transfected cells, did an assay to measure fluorescence, etc.). Does that sound pretty reasonable?

I think you have the right idea. Think about the big picture. The describe what you did in big picture terms.

"You worked on a project investigating X, which is important because Y. Your specific role was Z and included using techniques A, B, and C. It's value to the overall project was D, but moreover to you it gave you knowledge about F and G. Finally, the next step is Q."

Anyway, I think you get the point. I think it's less about specific tests and assays than the big picture. These people want to know that you see the goals of what you were doing and how to go from there. They want to know that you were more than a technician.

Peace,
B