1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about research hrs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Doctor_Strange, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Doctor_Strange

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey,

I took a class last semester that was 100% in the lab, that met once a week, and required students to participate and assist in the professor's lab. Throughout the semester we basically conducted a small replicate research experiment building up on a previous one. What I am trying to get at is if I could list the hours I spent in the lab under "research experience". I am genuinely uncertain of what to do. I know the professor, I have not worked in her lab prior or since that Spring course, but I spent a bunch of time so I know the research inside and out.

Thoughts? My gut reaction is not likely?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kenjixshadow

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    [​IMG]

Doing research means you are involved in the process of answering a question using the scientific method, with the goal of contributing new knowledge to the literature. IMO, the things you've mentioned seem like coursework and are desperate to put as a check mark for your application. Be careful what you put in your app, you may get asked in detail about your research and it may backfire you.

4. Doctor_Strange

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, to be fair that is exactly what was done: we started with a question, we spent about 4 to 5 weeks designing the experiment, running several trials, and doing a data analysis with the aim of future students contributing to the research. I already have some clinical research on my app, so this is not exactly a dealbreaker for me. But, I appreciate your input. Leaning towards not putting it on.

#3 Doctor_Strange, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  5. bengirlxD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Yes if you have done that then it is research. My school has the same thing where group or individual research gets counted as a class. As long as you are doing the scientific experiment and have a story to tell that you where actively engaged in and contributing to the overall knowledge of the world then it is research.

Doctor_Strange likes this.
  6. kenjixshadow

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmm, is your professor the PI? Are the data or the research overall potentially publishable by known peer-reviewed journals? Anyway, you may be able to list this as research experience if your professor will vouch for your participation in the activity.

7. Doctor_Strange

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks, I sometimes forget that it matters more about talking about something on your app then simply putting it on there. I could talk for at least 30 minutes about the project, which was related to BPA.

bengirlxD likes this.
  8. Doctor_Strange

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It is not publishable. The experiment was a watered down version that a previous student had conducted for her thesis. Our group aimed to replicate the study to the best we could. Frankly, the results were poor, but it hopefully does not diminish the work and hours put into it. I guess I will just ask her what she thinks. Thanks

9. echo87

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Just realize you that you will probably have to answer questions regarding this experience you put down. If a PI at the medical school asks you about the research and they find out it was for a grade (and not separate undergraduate research that happens to award CREDIT, think pass/fail), it would look very poorly on you.

bengirlxD likes this.
  10. Doctor_Strange

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, I disagree with this assertion because at my institution students can create a research project and it can act as a 4.0 credit course. The student conducts the research, meets with their respective professor, and at the end of the semester the student is awarded a grade. So they are not mutually exclusive--at least at my institution.

bengirlxD likes this.
  11. ConfusedChemist

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Honestly, this just sounds like an extended version of a bio lab. It's not a research thesis like some honours programs have, that's research, sure. But got course credit, didn't submit anything publishable, of of that format, and repeated others work. I would not include it

12. Doctor_Strange

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thesis work is not the only research experience that a student can conduct though. And publishable work does not diminish the experience. Anyways, I will add it on, and be prepared to talk about it.

13. becomingdoctor

Pre-Medical
  14. Doctor_Strange

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That may be the key. I will distinguish as such. Thanks

15. AlteredScale

Administrator Moderator 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If it isn't advancing the Specific field through discovery, I wouldn't count it as research. Essentially if the data you use is potential data that can be utilize for a grant proposal and application, it can count toward research experience in a medical school app.

If you are conducting experiments that have been formulated and optimized for a specific result then IMO, it's not worth adding and can be looked upon with question.

Doctor_Strange likes this.
  16. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust!
    5+ Year Member

The key think to remember here that defines research is "intellectual work" or "intellectual contribution." If you were the guy just pipetting in lab that doesn't count, there is no real thinking going on. If you were the guy involved with hypothesizing, or with the calculations, or using a technique in a new way all of which contributed to a new project, then this would count.

When replicating an experiment, there is no intellectual thought. It is no different than doing lab experiments for a lab course.

AlteredScale likes this.