Question about research years during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone. I'm just curious about how most academic programs go about having residents do 1-2 years of research. It seems that some programs require it while others let you choose if you want to do research. If I were to go into surgery I feel that I would want to do a fellowship. But I also worry about doing a fellowship in addition to 1-2 years of research during residency. Do most ppl do a few research years if they want a fellowship? Or can some just do 5 years and jump into a fellowship? I assume it mainly depends on how competitive a fellowship is. Also is it more difficult to do a fellowship if you do your training at a community hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I'm just curious about how most academic programs go about having residents do 1-2 years of research. It seems that some programs require it while others let you choose if you want to do research. If I were to go into surgery I feel that I would want to do a fellowship. But I also worry about doing a fellowship in addition to 1-2 years of research during residency. Do most ppl do a few research years if they want a fellowship? Or can some just do 5 years and jump into a fellowship? I assume it mainly depends on how competitive a fellowship is. Also is it more difficult to do a fellowship if you do your training at a community hospital?

1. Some do. Some don't.
2) Yes.
3) Yes. It would be hard to get into Peds Surg or Surg Onc without research time; its not necessarily for others
4) Perhaps but not always; depends on the specialty and how awesome you are

1. Some do. Some don't.
2) Yes.
3) Yes. It would be hard to get into Peds Surg or Surg Onc without research time; its not necessarily for others
1. Some do. Some don't.
2) Yes.
Do you know what type of research is most common / popular for people going into Surg Onc? It seems like a lot of the attendings at my school do basic science research but was wondering that's the trend overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what type of research is most common / popular for people going into Surg Onc? It seems like a lot of the attendings at my school do basic science research but was wondering that's the trend overall.
IIRC Most people are doing basic science research but let’s get our resident surg onc fellow to weigh in: @SouthernSurgeon

As usual, SS's post is gold. It illustrates the traditional approach to Surg Onc. This year I don't think I can remember anyone else on the surg onc interview trail not having dedicated research years during residency.

That said, every applicant is different. If something else makes your application extraordinary, you may forgo the traditional approach and get good results. It is key to have good mentors that know how the system works.

Reactions: 1 user
@SouthernSurgeon @mikeGR @Winged Scapula Thanks for weighing in. In your experience how common would it be for a surgical resident to do basic science research without prior experience? Would their program / potential mentors take them seriously?

I read this old book The Transformed Cell: Unlocking the Mysteries of Cancer by Steven Rosenburg about the early days of immunotherapy research at the NIH. I thought it was curious that he mentioned a lot of the fellows who came to work with him didn't have basic science research experience before coming but that was 30+ years ago so I'm sure the current landscape is totally different.

Also, any idea if many surgeons are doing research on cancer metabolism? Looking a tumor glucose utilization, effects of metformin, that sort of stuff?

@SouthernSurgeon @mikeGR @Winged Scapula Thanks for weighing in. In your experience how common would it be for a surgical resident to do basic science research without prior experience? Would their program / potential mentors take them seriously?

I read this old book The Transformed Cell: Unlocking the Mysteries of Cancer by Steven Rosenburg about the early days of immunotherapy research at the NIH. I thought it was curious that he mentioned a lot of the fellows who came to work with him didn't have basic science research experience before coming but that was 30+ years ago so I'm sure the current landscape is totally different.

Also, any idea if many surgeons are doing research on cancer metabolism? Looking a tumor glucose utilization, effects of metformin, that sort of stuff?
I think that you’ll find the medical student who does basic science research will match into a university program with basic science labs and become a resident who does basic science research. That being said, there are medical student that match to good programs with simple chart reviews or other types of “research“ so it’s not unheard of to be doing your first basic science/bench research as a resident.

Perhaps if you gave us more information about what your situation is we could better advice you or are you just asking out of interest sake?

As usual, SS's post is gold. It illustrates the traditional approach to Surg Onc. This year I don't think I can remember anyone else on the surg onc interview trail not having dedicated research years during residency.

That said, every applicant is different. If something else makes your application extraordinary, you may forgo the traditional approach and get good results. It is key to have good mentors that know how the system works.
I know one person who matched at a decent surg onc fellowship without any research time and, without having seen her CV, without any hardcore research but probably a few "outcomes" pubs

I think that you’ll find the medical student who does basic science research will match into a university program with basic science labs and become a resident who does basic science research. That being said, there are medical student that match to good programs with simple chart reviews or other types of “research“ so it’s not unheard of to be doing your first basic science/bench research as a resident.
Makes sense. Nice to know it's not totally unheard of if that's something I end up wanting to do.
Perhaps if you gave us more information about what your situation is we could better advice you or are you just asking out of interest sake?
Mostly asking out of interest as of now. I'm an M2 planning to go into surgery but not sure exactly what. Surg onc is one the fields I'm most interested in, but I don't think I'll be doing any basic research during medical school. Right now I'm gearing up for Step studying and trying to finish some chart review type projects that I've started.