Question about Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUmiken12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was set up to do lab research over the next year and a half with one of my professors. Today, he told me that he can no longer do research because he is retiring in 2 years and is going into school politics. But he said he would be happy to do a thesis with me that did not require any lab work. My question is do med schools hold non-lab research in the same regard as laboratory research projects? Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Find another professor.

What do you mean by research requiring 'no lab'? Just like a bit of a research project requiring you to read journals and the such? That probably wouldn't go over wery well. I don't even see how you could do a thesis without doing some experimentation!

I would tend to agree with none. As long as you haven't invested a lot of time in things thus far, you're probably better off finding another prof, unless you can make some kind of compromise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to agree with brandonite. What you are talking about is not research in the "med school applicant research experience" sense. Schools would not take that seriously.

Research could also be an analysis of data that was acquired by some previous lab work or even data gathered outside of a lab. Research is just scientific inquiry and a laboratory is not required.

I have to disagree, I did clinical research where we worked with patients and looked at patient charts. I was published and I've gotten interivews. I just like clinical research better.

"Tis better to work with Humans than rats"