Question about residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolfez

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So I am thinking about changing my residency from Ohio to New York.

I never go home. For the past two summer of college, I have either been in ny doing research or taking classes.

I have research how to become a resident of NY, basically file taxes as a non-dependent, lived in NY (not on campus dorms) for a year and have significant income to support yourself. But does that year count if you are also going to school full time? I am very confused and can't find the small details. can someone help me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're asking because you want to be a NY resident when you apply to school and therefore trying to make it easier to get in to the SUNY dental schools, then I would suggest calling the dental schools and asking them how they decide residency. I know certain states require things that others don't... so it may be best to hear it from the people that make the decisions (as far as school is concerned)... I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, but just a thought. Good Luck

Thanks for the answer. That is another thing. Does everything think it's smart to change residency from ohio to Ny so I have a better chance of getting into DS? Ohio only has Ohio state whereas Ny has a couple state DS.

Thanks for the answer. That is another thing. Does everything think it's smart to change residency from ohio to Ny so I have a better chance of getting into DS? Ohio only has Ohio state whereas Ny has a couple state DS.

Even if it can increase your chances by 1% I'd do it. Also you forget that instate schools are much cheaper than as an OOS student.

I'm not sure about SUNY but for UC/CSU, they do not count the years you spend schooling as part of your residency requirement (for undergrad). Graduate schools do allow this. But regarding your situation, I do not have much info.

Sorry! But good luck to you.