Question about reviewing application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I just wanted to make clear about how ADCOMS and AACOMAS review our applicantions.
In order to get an interview from any med school, do they (ADCOMS and AACOMAS) look only our numbers (MCAT and GPA) to select students for interview or do they also review other stuff such as recommendation and excracurriculars just to get an interview?

Can a person who has very little experience (for example, only 3 months of volunteer) and decent numbers(GPA 3.6 and MCAT 30) get an interview?
or a person who has outstanding experience( 3years of clinical experience and 2 years of research..) but has low numbers (GPA 3.0 and MCAT 25) can never get an interview because the committee first look at only his/her numbers?
Any response will be appreciated.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by several Admission Counselors at different schools in the Philadelphia area that they HAND REVIEW every application that is recieved.

Take it as it is.

Best of luck to you.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

Most schools look at the AACOMAS to see if you surpass a general academic standard, then they send out secondaries. The secondary apps are more indepth, and they review those very closely, and it is the combination of your grades, letters or recomendation, experience, etc etc that decides if you get an interview. I have also been told that many DO schools really look closely at the verbal MCAT scores, as they know that you know the info, they want to see if you can aliterate yourself as well. From what i can tell most MD programs go strictly by the #'s. Good Luck.

...I suppose it would not do for any candidate, DO or MD, to demonstrate aliteracy--what with medicine largely predicated upon life-long learning and all.