kgal1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
Status
in the book thread, when people say Robbins Path
they mean the Robbins Review of Pathology right???

Is there a difference btwn Robbins Review of Path 1st ed and Robbins and COTRAN Review of Path 2nd ed??? which one is better - does anyone know?

aerobe

10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Medical Student
but there is Robins review of pathology by goljan (i saw it in fa) and i think this is the book people are referring to do.
any comments by those who have taken usmle
aerobe

zeloc

15+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Robbins Path can mean the textbook Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, or the question book, Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology. The one with Cotran is just the 2nd edition of the same book. I'm not sure how much is different but if you cannot get a hold of the 2nd edition I'm sure the 1st is fine. Since there is so much confusion with Robbins, how about the following terminology:

Big Robbins (Pathologic Basis of Disease)
Medium Robbins (Robbins Basic Pathology)
Small Robbins (Pocket companion)
Robbins question book

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As far as I'm concerned, "Robbins Review of Path" is the question book with 1000+ path question in it. How do I know? I have it!

aerobe

10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Medical Student
so when people say robbins review of patho they mean robbins review by kumar and cotran and not that by goljan becose there is a book named robbins review of pathology by goljan listed in fa and i thought this is the book people are referring.

zeloc

15+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
That is a misprint in First Aid. Robbins Review of Pathology is by Klatt and Kumar, not by Goljan. But it is the same book. Doctorsaib, Robbins Review of Path does indeed refer to the question book with over 1000 questions. I have this book too. But the OP asked what Robbins Path means, not Robbins Review of Pathology.

naveenanirada

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
Status
I had asked this question before, as i got a partial answer, I will try again.......

What are the chapter numbers to be read for step1 from the BIG Robbins,7th Edition? :confused:

Regards
NN

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
naveenanirada said:
I had asked this question before, as i got a partial answer, I will try again.......

What are the chapter numbers to be read for step1 from the BIG Robbins,7th Edition? :confused:

Regards
NN
Hmm I'll take a stab at it:

The heme chapters (red blood chapter, white blood chapter) (ignore all of the technical classification schemes of lymphomas).
the GI chapters (particularly the liver chapter)

Definately those three. Then I would read Endocrine and Renal. I ended up reading about half the book, of the 7th edition. In general, SKIP the purple box sections except for the bold type in them. The histology itself is not important. Pay particular attention to the "Clinical Course of disease" section, and the drawings/figures. The chapters are color-coded on the side, so you can estimate how long it will take to read a chapter. The eye chapter at the very end is almost completely useless for Step 1. Female reproductive, breast, and male reproductive was not very useful either.
I also recommend writing relevant points into first aid as you are reading.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
i actually thought those reproductive chatpers are useful. they at least helped me w/ Qbank questions.

beastmaster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Is there any significant difference between the question book for the 6th edition and the one for the 7th?