Question about science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rody Johnson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I need your help.

I have done a traditional Masters degree in a chemistry speciality. I had a 3.67-3.70 science gpa. The medical school admissions committee member I spoke to in person at his medical school said earning this masters degree was a good idea.

Problem is, without gpa grade replacement, my overall science gpa is only 2.97-2.99.(I did my masters degree to show an upward trend and retook a couple classes I did poorly in).

To some extent this worked. My masters of 3.68+ is much better than my bachelors. However, my overall cumulative science gpa with all degrees and no grade replacement is 2.97-2.99.

Will most medical schools auto reject my application just due to this?

I had 12-15 As and 2 Bs science grades during my masters.

If some medical schools will reject me because I don't have a 3.0 science gpa overall (all degrees combined and no grade replacement), which schools don't have a minimum science 3.0 gpa requirement?

Thank you all.

I could be wrong but I don't think you'll be auto rejected from too many schools due to the sub 3.0 SGPA. The reinvention by doing a masters to get into DO seems like a pretty tried and true method based on what I've read here. Do you have an mcat yet?

Don’t DO schools factor in grad GPA? Otherwise you need to take undergrad biology courses.