Question about secondaries and NOVA in FL...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dOcToRdOn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wassup y'all...
I am in the midst of sending off secondaries and i had a quick question. I've already done my recommendations for the MD schools and now that I'm getting requests for DO recommendations, they're kind of adding their own twist to them. Did you guys use the same rec's for allopathic (providing you applied to those) for the osteopathic schools? Did anyone use www.interfolio.com ? I would just hate to go back to all of the people that wrote me rec's and ask them to write me 5 more b/c it's just not right for them, u know?
One other thing, does anyone know anything about NOVA in FL? I've applied to alot of schools b/c I want to get in somewhere, schools i've applied to:

D.O.

NYCOM
LMU
LECOM
MSUCOM
CCOMMW
NOVA
NYCUCOM
WVSOM

M.D.
Howard
Albany Medical College
ECU
UNC
Rosalind Franklin
WVU
VCU

Any help anyone???
Thanks!!!
Dr.Don

Members don't see this ad.

Wassup y'all...
I am in the midst of sending off secondaries and i had a quick question. I've already done my recommendations for the MD schools and now that I'm getting requests for DO recommendations, they're kind of adding their own twist to them. Did you guys use the same rec's for allopathic (providing you applied to those) for the osteopathic schools? Did anyone use www.interfolio.com ? I would just hate to go back to all of the people that wrote me rec's and ask them to write me 5 more b/c it's just not right for them, u know?
One other thing, does anyone know anything about NOVA in FL? I've applied to alot of schools b/c I want to get in somewhere, schools i've applied to:

D.O.

NYCOM
LMU
LECOM
MSUCOM
CCOMMW
NOVA
NYCUCOM
WVSOM

M.D.
Howard
Albany Medical College
ECU
UNC
Rosalind Franklin
WVU
VCU

Any help anyone???
Thanks!!!
Dr.Don

Wassup Dr. Don! -

The same letters that you got for your MD schools should be adequate for DO schools, less the DO letter of recommendation that is required by schools such as Nova. DO schools do accept Interfolio.

Am I right to assume that you want to go to medical school in that general location since I see a lot of northeast and middle east coast schools?

What do you want to know about Nova? It's located in Davie/Ft. Lauderdale. Their COMLEX pass rate is around 93%. They have IGC Preceptorship starting the first semester. They incorporate PBL into their curriculum. The matchlist has many noteworthy locations, in part, Johns Hopkins, Yale, etc. What are you looking for in particular?

You seem to have a good list of schools. Best of luck!

Wassup y'all...

D.O.

NYCOM
LMU
LECOM
MSUCOM
CCOMMW
NOVA
NYCUCOM
WVSOM

M.D.
Howard
Albany Medical College
ECU
UNC
Rosalind Franklin
WVU
VCU

Any help anyone???
Thanks!!!
Dr.Don

Hey Dr. Don,
I used my LOR's for both MD and DO. You need to check though as some schools would prefer DO or MD LOR, so just keep that in mind.

As for www.interfolio.com, I used it this year as opposed to last year. Easy interface, and it helps especially when asking multiple LOR's for multiple schools. Last year, I remember receiving rejection notices from schools saying my file was incomplete. Needless to say, 1 of my teachers wrote the letter, yet never sent it out. I remember approaching her close to the deadline for some schools and she signed them, sealed them and told me, "if you want, you could go to the post office and express mail them. And that's what I did. $40 in the hole, and then I received rejection notices later. This year, it's click and send them away.

Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wassup Dr. Don! -

The same letters that you got for your MD schools should be adequate for DO schools, less the DO letter of recommendation that is required by schools such as Nova. DO schools do accept Interfolio.

Am I right to assume that you want to go to medical school in that general location since I see a lot of northeast and middle east coast schools?

What do you want to know about Nova? It's located in Davie/Ft. Lauderdale. Their COMLEX pass rate is around 93%. They have IGC Preceptorship starting the first semester. They incorporate PBL into their curriculum. The matchlist has many noteworthy locations, in part, Johns Hopkins, Yale, etc. What are you looking for in particular?

You seem to have a good list of schools. Best of luck!

Thanks for your help and input! I would like to stay on the east coast b/c ive lived here my entire life and i would prefer to stay close to family... the whole reason i wanted to go into medicine is b/c i was dx'd w/ cancer when i was 20, and all of goals changed after i had chemo and beat it ("yeahhhhh" like little john from chappelle's show) anyways, i had a cum. gpa of 3.43 and science of 3.0 (which im a little worried about) b/c i took 2 physics courses right after i got done w/ chemo and my head wasn't all in it... anyways, i was hopin that some of the schools would excuse the physics grades (we'll see) I got a 27Q on the MCATS this past august.

In all honesty, i'm hopin to stay in n.c. but if i could get into florida, id be just as happy b/c i like warm weather, but I'm hopin that i at least get in somewhere...how about you? where r u hopin to go?

Don

Thanks for your help and input! I would like to stay on the east coast b/c ive lived here my entire life and i would prefer to stay close to family... the whole reason i wanted to go into medicine is b/c i was dx'd w/ cancer when i was 20, and all of goals changed after i had chemo and beat it ("yeahhhhh" like little john from chappelle's show) anyways, i had a cum. gpa of 3.43 and science of 3.0 (which im a little worried about) b/c i took 2 physics courses right after i got done w/ chemo and my head wasn't all in it... anyways, i was hopin that some of the schools would excuse the physics grades (we'll see) I got a 27Q on the MCATS this past august.

In all honesty, i'm hopin to stay in n.c. but if i could get into florida, id be just as happy b/c i like warm weather, but I'm hopin that i at least get in somewhere...how about you? where r u hopin to go?

Don
No problem at all Don. Congrats on your remission! That is a wonderful accomplishment. I've had quite a bit of experience interacting with cancer patients and that is what influenced me to pursue Hem/Onc.

Your cum. GPA is good and if your science GPA is indeed 3.0 or above, you should make the cutoff points. The 27Q is above average for most schools. DO schools do seem lenient when it comes to grades. Though you're not going to use it as a complete excuse, but I believe it should be mentioned. It is very moving.

Note: Be cautious when applying to MD schools at this point (in the middle of the process) since many of them are number "******." The trend for average GPA and MCAT seem to be 3.5 and 30. Just something to keep in mind. For DO schools, they are a little lower and seem to look at the complete package, rather than scores first...more of a holistic approach...something that they preach.

UNC is a great school. Best of luck with the process. Right now I'm debating between UNE and NSU (very different climates). Keep in good health and feel free to PM with questions.