Question About Shadowing Attire - Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateyoho

Mizzou c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I've started shadowing at my family's vet clinic this summer, and so far I've followed the advice I read online about wearing nice clothes. However, they've wanted me to be a bit more hands on than I imagined I would be as just a shadow. Yesterday, one of the vet techs told me I could come in scrubs next time because she wanted to give me experience with handling and holding animals during their check-ups.

Normally, I wouldn't think twice, but all of the advice I read was against wearing scrubs because they made you look like an employee rather than a shadow. I'm also a bit wary because it was one of the vet techs and not one of the vets themselves who told me to do this. (Though I have been spending a good portion of my time shadowing and working with the techs when the vets are in their offices and not with patients.) I wouldn't want to come across as presumptuous to the vets.

What are your opinions? Are scrubs unacceptable to wear when shadowing, even if one of the vet techs said it was okay?

Members don't see this ad.

When I started shadowing, I was required to wear scrubs with their vet logo on it, so I've never been in a position where I've had to wear nice clothes. And then when I got a job at another clinic, our volunteers always came in scrubs. I would say if she told you to do it, then do it. You don't want to miss an opportunity to get hands-on. If it makes you feel more comfortable, maybe you could find a way to let the vet know when you see him in scrubs like, 'so-and-so told me to wear scrubs today, I'm excited for the opportunity to get my hands dirty' or something totally nerdy like that so he knows you were instructed to do so and excited about being more active.

What are your opinions? Are scrubs unacceptable to wear when shadowing, even if one of the vet techs said it was okay?

If you're uncertain or uncomfortable, why not just ask one of the vets? Say "So-n-so suggested I wear scrubs; would that be appropriate?"

I wear scrubs on surgery and dental days and a scrub top with slacks on client appt days. So yes, I think it's a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always worn scrubs when I shadowed, but I always had a very hands on role that wasn't limited to just observing. Wouldn't want to ruin my own clothes while wrestling with a feisty dog for a blood draw ha.

I asked the vet I shadowed what would be appropriate to wear and he just told me to wear clothes I didn't mind getting dirty and a lab coat.

Most of the time I wore scrubs of a different color that the vet techs (plus mine weren't logo'd like theirs).

I would just ask the vet what they want and go with that.

I see no need to be dressed up constantly (but not looking like a scrub...haha...either) unless they specifically tell you that you should be.

I never wore scrubs when shadowing because I tended to be in appointments, but I did wear machine washable business casual. I got plenty dirty some days, but my nice-looking clothes weren't any harder to wash than scrubs! If the vet tech told you to wear scrubs, then wear scrubs. I wouldn't think twice about it. Our vet techs practically run the clinic ;-), I don't think the vet would care if everyone showed up in pajamas, lol.

I am currently shadowing at a small animal clinic once a week. The vet asked me to wear scrubs before I came the first time. I am going to be shadowing at an equine hospital this fall and they asked me to wear a collared shirt and khaki pants. So, each place has their own preferences about what should be worn. If you still are having second thoughts about wearing scrubs just ask the vet what they think about it.

Really surprised to hear people advising against scrubs..... I've never worn anything but scrubs to shadowing roles and this summer I work at a clinic where we have a high school shadow in scrubs.... I've never thought twice about it-I'm thinking now maybe I should have? Oops lol.
But anyways I don't think it's a big deal regardless......

I've mostly worn scrubs for shadowing. No use getting normal clothes bloody and stained when you know you're going to be rolling around on the floor all day long! Also good for being able to observe surgeries. GPs and places with a lot of client contact are different, then I'd at least wear normal clothes. (also good for avoiding potential issues with infectious diseases! much easier to throw out scrubs with parvo contact than normal clothes in my opinion!)

if you're really concerned about looking like an employee, you could make a name tag for yourself (you can get badge materials at walmart for very cheap) and just put your name and pre-vet student on it

I start my first shadowing role tomorrow and was told to wear scrubs for both clinic and OR days.

I play it really safe - I usually come in a nice collared t-shirt, jeans and belt, and put scrubs in a bag I carry with me. That way I can put them on as if I were always planning to. :)

I think scrubs are generally recommended. I didn't realize that and wore regular clothes to the equine clinic and found out that scrubs were required. Luckilly I had a spare set in my car in case I get pooped on or get blood all over my scrubs at work. So, I'd say go with the scrubs if the techs told you to. Maybe bring your other stuff and make sure it is what the vet wants as well when you first arrive.

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks everyone for your advice. I went ahead and wore the scrubs and was instantly given more to do. Even if my scrubs weren't vocally acknowledged the first day, I was certainly treated more like part of the team and given a lot more hands-on experience...something for which I am *extremely* grateful.

Eventually, the vets did notice my scrubs, and complimented me on them. I was later encouraged to bring a stethoscope, and when I did, they let me test it out on anesthetized animals.

Now that I know my vets better after weeks of working with them, I realize how silly I was on that first day for wondering if scrubs would be acceptable. I've learned that at this clinic, "shadow" really means "volunteer assistant." :)

Scrubs! the best uniform, feels like pajamas and dewrinkles in the dryer!