1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Question about shadowing DO

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by FutureDoc1016, Jul 20, 2006.

1. FutureDoc1016

FutureDoc1016 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm going to shadow my first D.O next week and I was wondering what do I wear? I know everyone says to dress professionaly... what exactly does that mean? Do I wear pants and dress shirt? Or can I come in jeans? but covered up and neat?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RuralMedicine

RuralMedicine Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it depends on what is the dress in the office. I have a colleague who wears jeans in his office nearly daily. You'd probably be fine there but might look a tad out of place elsewhere.

4. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've shadowed IM, Rad. Oncology, and Anesthesia.

Shirt and tie for the first two...and slacks and a collared shirt for the last one..then they gave me scrubs.

I found it best to just ask the nurse/office manager.

My IM guy wears a suit and tie to work every day, so she said shirt and tie at a minimum.

5. thadarknyte

thadarknyte Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

if your overdressed, it doesnt look bad. It makes you look professional.

Being UNDERDRESSED is a problem, so no jeans.

id recommend slacks with a tie/or suit, u want to make a good impression

6. blondie68

blondie68 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dressing professionally means no jeans or khakis, T's or casual shirts. Dress slacks, dress shirt, tie and jacket. A suit is definitely okay, but I wouldn't say necessary in this case. For a med school interview though, I'd suggest a suit. Make sure your shoes are also appropriate to wear with your dress clothes. A friend who just shadowed recently was advised by the Dr. to "dress professionally, wear a jacket". She was surprised since she thought dress slacks or skirt and a nice blouse or sweater was appropriate. She followed the Dr.'s suggestion and he did comment on how appropriately dressed she was. She was shadowing in his office and then checking on hospital patients. A lot of Dr.'s want you dressing in the same manner they will be for whatever the work situation is. I agree with the previous post, it is always okay to check with their office if you have any question on attire. Have fun shadowing and good luck.