Question about shadowing/volunteer hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shadowed a group of a dentists for 150 hours at a health clinic which is apart of a very big NY hospital. They consider it volunteering for the hospital (which it is). It was very hands on and not just typical shadowing. So my questions is: when I fill out my AADSAS app can I consider this BOTH shadowing and volunteer hours? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say shadowing, just cuz 150 shadowing/0 volunteering looks way better than 0 volunteering/150 shadowing. Obviously, closer scrutiny of your app would clear up all the red flags that are raised, but still.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say shadowing, just cuz 150 shadowing/0 volunteering looks way better than 0 volunteering/150 shadowing. Obviously, closer scrutiny of your app would clear up all the red flags that are raised, but still.
Do you think they separate volunteering and shadowing like that? I would think that if it's dental related it all goes into the same category.

If they look at shadowing that way then I'm screwed with 0 shadowing/ 200 volunteering/ 5000 work experience.

In the application it says,

Position Type (select all that apply)

_Paid
_Volunteer
_Job Shadowing
_Other​

It seems to ADCOMS volunteer time in a dental setting can be shadowing, as well. For me, volunteering at a community health clinic has helped me to understand other aspects of dentistry (i.e. administration, supply, regulation, HR, etc.) that I was never exposed to strictly shadowing. I feel that these experiences have been invaluable to me in preparing to become a dentist. I still regularly observe different procedures, and am always increasing my understanding of clinical skills. The other day I watched the dentist perform a complicated extraction on a Chinese man, communicating through call-in translator on speaker phone. It was awesome! At the clinic I am able to provide valuable service while still learning more about dentistry, every day. I think by checking both, you're not trying to pull a fast one, but rather, you give ADCOMS a better idea of your experience. What do you guys think?

You can always split it somewhere in the middle such as 100 shadowing/50 volunteering. You won't be guilty of double counting.

It is not considered lying if you say it was both volunteering and shadowing. Technically it was both, since while you were volunteering you were able to observe the procedures rendered by the dentists.

I used my my activities as both, and I currently have several interviews. I would say put it down on your AADSAS, but be creative in your descriptions and do not be repetitive. Best of luck to you!

I would just say 1500 hours of one or the other. And if they call you out on it, just claim that it was an honest keyboard typo of pressing the 0 key twice.

While on the topic, how many hours of volunteering is respectable?