question about shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello; i was just wondering if psychiatrists are generally open to letting undergrads "shadow" them...or is it impossible due to the fact that the patient will have no privacy to tell their stories/whats wrong with them? I want to ask a few psychiatrists if I can shadow them, but before doing so, I want to make sure it is okay.

any responses would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how difficult shadowing is. I personally have shadowed and do know of friends who have shadowed, but most of them (including myself) knew the doctor (I shadowed once w/ my dad, a neurologist and one of his friends who works in the same office building who was an ophthalmologist). All I can say, is.. ask the doctor. Unless they are really busy surgeons, I'm sure they'd be willing to throw you a bone if you catch them in the right mood and convince them that you're interested in what they're doing. (Make sure you research some diseases in that specific field and try to brown nose.) With psychiatry, I'd be surprised if you were allowed in cause of confidentiality. Hell, a hospital turned me down as a volunteer at a HIV clinic because of confidentiality even though I wouldn't physically see the patients (I think its a new law passed called HIPPA or something.)
Good luck.

Patients may be less skittish if they are in a group therapy environment, so it may be easier to shadow psychiatrists who lead group sessions.

Members don't see this ad :)
what u need is an externship. if ur a med student now there r more option than a grad. even as a grad i know of several places that do these. (PM me.) externship is hands on and u will be doing the work of a us med student. (also often workin with them as well.) in psych there is not much physical touching but u will talk to patients alone and enter their h and p. some programs r specific in requiring an externship. i would contact all the psych residency programs. also VA hospitals allow this as well but the paperwork takes some time. also u may get an option of rotations (inpatent, outpatient, C/L, etc.)

there r also observerships as well. this is shadowing only. however some docs may let u do somethings but it wont be as good as an externship. there r both formal and informal observerships. it is better to find someone in academia i guess. also try to do research on the side if possible.

what i did was to email every psych residency program. i think it would be better to call as well. good luck.

regardin patient privacy, u will be in an environment where there r residents and students. the main limitation is in outpatient where u may get to observe behind a mirror. in outpatient the treatment is more long term and doctor specific. another student is often intrusive. in inpatient it is not as much of a problem as the treatment is more pharm oriented.

to sum up things externship is better than shadowing or observing.

Psychiatrists working at a medical school may be more willing to let you shadow them than psychiatrists working in private practice. At MSU, for example, they have one of those one way mirrors, so you could watch without sitting in the room. Good luck!:)