Question about shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmsgolfer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im asking people who have possible come accross this during the interview process. Do schools like to see a variety in the sites that you shadow at or do they just look the number of hours with different docs/specialties. I have spent around 100 hours at 1 clinic so far and im wondering if an internship at another clinic would help my application, or do i just stay where i am at. The clinic i am curently at is a residency/teaching clinic with tons of DO's. The other clinic is quite a bit further away and i will be taking physics closer to the site i am at now. Please Help.

Members don't see this ad.

Having extensive experience in one location looks better than a bunch of different places. If you feel you'd like to see something different, then it might be a good experience, but if you're learning a lot where you are, no reason to go elsewhere.

I agree to some extent. If the place where you are currently shadowing (DO's aside) is good then by all means stay there, but if you're staying just because of the types of doctors it might not be the best decision. I only did 50 hours at a hospital when i started volunteering/shadowing and then left because I wasn't learning a thing. I ended up at NY Presbyterian Children's Hospital at an amazing program with 8 other students and learned more in the first day then my 50 hours at the previous place. I stayed there for a year and had a number of great stories for my Med School interview that even wowed the physician interviewing me. I've also heard that some schools do like to see that you've tried a number of options and kinda narrowed your choices but that's not something I can say for a fact.