Question about SMP GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user2472471

Reaction score
I am a pre-med student in a special masters program (SMP). My undergraduate GPA is low for med school standards (cumulative GPA = 3.47, science GPA 3.26) but my graduate GPA is a 4.0. I got a 514 on the MCAT

I was looking at MSAR and saw some schools that said they do not consider post-bacc GPA for students with low undergraduate GPAs. Some of these schools include Indiana University, Buffalo, Loyola, Mayo, University of Pennsylvania, Vermont, Brown, and University of Massachusetts. However, I couldn't find anything about this on their websites. Does anyone know if this is true? Or if there are other med schools that will not consider graduate or post-bacc GPAs?

Additionally, I also came across something called the 30-hour rule. Essentially, some med schools either place more emphasis or only consider your GPA for the last 30 credit hours of coursework. I've heard that LSU, Wayne State, Michigan State (DO school), and Boston University are known to do this. However, I have only been able to confirm this for LSU (Requirements) and Wayne State (on MSAR). Can anybody confirm whether this is true and whether other med schools also do this? And if so, please let me know where I can find more information.

Finally, if anyone knows of med schools that tend to look more favorably or less favorably on students coming from special masters programs (SMPs), that would be very helpful to know. I'm trying to form a school list and having some trouble deciding where to apply
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I can give a partial response but the experts will have more information.

What one part of that is referencing is generally the "upward trend" meaning the last ~30 or so credits can have a good impact on your transcript if it is showing growth from previous semesters, basically signaling that you were able to address whatever was keeping your GPA lower. Note, this isn't always 100% depending on which classes your last 30 were.

There are certain schools that are more favorable to "reinventors" or upward trenders. But if you have a question about a specific school it's best to contact them directly, or try looking through the school-specific questions here: 2022-2023 MD Medical School-Specific Discussions

Again I'm not an expert and can't give a complete response.

Some programs are more welcoming to reinventors than others by using the last 30 to 60 credit hours or biomedical courses taken. It can change on a yearly basis depending on committees leadership and policy that will remain out of your sight.

This is why you network with schools before you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.