WAMC Poor Stats for DO (undergrad GPA 3.15, MCAT 505, SMP GPA ~3.15)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

78888888r

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some thoughts what I should do from here. Currently finishing an SMP and it's not looking too hot. I'm thinking that DO is the best option from here, but not even sure if that's even possible anymore.

State of Residency: VA
Ethnicity: URM (Hispanic & AA)
Undergrad cGPA: 3.15
Undergrad sGPA: 2.8
MCAT: 503 -> 505 (2023)
SMP GPA: ~3.15 (still have one more class to take)
Volunteer: ~250 hours non clinical, ~300 clinical
Shadowing: ~75 hours, 2 doctors
Other: Utilities Manager during college at dining hall for ~4000 hours

Not really sure what to do at this point. The best GPA i could get in the SMP at this point is a 3.2-3.3 and that's being generous. I don't really have a preference on what schools to apply to, my main question is whether or not I should even apply or figure out someway to improve my application.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How much support is your SMP going to give you for an application? What advice has your faculty given you about your chances or a proposed list of schools?

Have you been able to connect with LMSA chapters at the schools on your wishlist? If you identify as Black, have you talked to HBCU programs or other MSI medical schools? I would like more details on your volunteer activities (pre-SMP and during SMP), and a description of your mission fit as a future physician.

You should be able to receive interviews at DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
VCOM Virginia
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
BU-COM
OCOM
BCOM (both schools)
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
Noorda-COM
DUQCOM
KHSC-COM
For MD schools you could try these:
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Indiana
Wayne State
Belmont
Vermont
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.