Question about SMP with linkages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali_NP_to_MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere...
I've been reading about SMPs for which a top % or number of students in the SMP who pass a comprehensive exam gain admission to that particular MD/DO school. An example is Touro NYC. My question is - are there any SMP programs with such linkages for which an admitted student doesn't have to retake classes? I realize this is worded weird but I can't think of another way to ask. What I mean is that the programs I've been reading about offer pathways to admission into the med school, but once admitted, that student has to retake all the MS1 classes even if those classes were taken as part of the SMP program.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
"Students accepted into the Master of Medical Science degree in biomedical sciences enroll in basic science courses with first-year medical students. Faculty responsible for teaching students in the MMS Program will be those who teach these first-year basic sciences courses...Although the courses share lecture/laboratory experiences and tests with the Doctor of Medicine degree program, such courses will not be transferred to the M.D. degree program; a student subsequently admitted to the M.D. degree program should expect to take, and pay for, the normal M.D. degree curriculum."

It seems like big waste of money? Am I missing something here? Are there any SMP programs that actually count those credits towards the MD/DO program once a student gets admitted?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

FAQ

And the part about tuition is incorrect. I believe they get a 15% discount their first year of med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere...
I've been reading about SMPs for which a top % or number of students in the SMP who pass a comprehensive exam gain admission to that particular MD/DO school. An example is Touro NYC. My question is - are there any SMP programs with such linkages for which an admitted student doesn't have to retake classes? I realize this is worded weird but I can't think of another way to ask. What I mean is that the programs I've been reading about offer pathways to admission into the med school, but once admitted, that student has to retake all the MS1 classes even if those classes were taken as part of the SMP program.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
"Students accepted into the Master of Medical Science degree in biomedical sciences enroll in basic science courses with first-year medical students. Faculty responsible for teaching students in the MMS Program will be those who teach these first-year basic sciences courses...Although the courses share lecture/laboratory experiences and tests with the Doctor of Medicine degree program, such courses will not be transferred to the M.D. degree program; a student subsequently admitted to the M.D. degree program should expect to take, and pay for, the normal M.D. degree curriculum."

It seems like big waste of money? Am I missing something here? Are there any SMP programs that actually count those credits towards the MD/DO program once a student gets admitted?

Thank you
Not that I'm aware of.

Consider the program an audition for med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure anyone on SD.net has taken the time to compile such a list so you'll likely have to do it yourself. If you don't already know, this is a useful tool for searching up SMP with linkages. Filter by graduate. You will end up with ~100 programs and you'll need to take some time to sit through them. You can quickly sort through ones that aren't useful when you click on the program and look at the quick facts table, see if the program is at the school of medicine/have linkages with them. I put my list into an excel sheet to keep track, and one by one went to their website looking for the relevant info. If you don't see it, don't hesitate to just contact them. Write a generic e-mail you can copy paste to the programs.

Took me about 2 nights to find programs, get more info, and narrow down to a useful list. It's tedious but necessary.

Disclaimer: "Please note: The Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programs database is not an exhaustive list of all U.S. postbaccalaureate premedical programs... applicants should contact the program directly to verify posted information. Further, we encourage applicants to perform their own due diligence on the programs regarding accreditation, success rates, and suitability..."

One I can think of that isn't on the list that you can check out is Western U's in CA. I have no idea about the program since I didn't look at it in detail, and it doesn't have linkage agreements, but just another program to investigate in case it does work for you...

Reactions: 1 users
LMU used to. Not sure if they're still doing it though.