question about social event

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

le pamplemousse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am interviewing at a school that is near where I live (about 40 minutes drive). I will be at the school all day, but there is a social event that same evening.

Since I only have about 2-3hours in between, it doesn't make sense for me to drive back home, and then drive back for the social event (especially since it is rush hour and it may take me longer).

So I am not sure what I should do? Since I will need to change clothes and everything, but it doesn't make sense to drive home and drive right back. Should I just hang out at the school until the social event? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You could ask one of the graduate students if they're willing to host you for a few hours in between the events...I'm assuming other people are staying with grad students? I would only do this if other interviewees are staying with them, otherwise it might seem a little odd.

Hi guys,

I am interviewing at a school that is near where I live (about 40 minutes drive). I will be at the school all day, but there is a social event that same evening.

Since I only have about 2-3hours in between, it doesn't make sense for me to drive back home, and then drive back for the social event (especially since it is rush hour and it may take me longer).

So I am not sure what I should do? Since I will need to change clothes and everything, but it doesn't make sense to drive home and drive right back. Should I just hang out at the school until the social event? :confused:

I would just find a Starbucks nearby and hang out there for a few hours. I'm sure you could just change in the restrooms of the schools and since you'll have your car to store your stuff, it should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Early Happy Hour.....probably isn't a great idea. Hanging out w. a grad student (if others are being hosted) is a fine option if you don't need that time to decompress. I personally would choose the coffee house option (not Charbucks though), as I'd need to relax and gather myself so I could put my best foot forward at the second event. Given my druthers, I'm pretty introverted, so social situations wear me out, so YMMV.

I'd go to a coffee house or the university's student union and hang out for a few hours.

If you are chatting with grad students during the interview process, you might tell them of your situation and ask if they have ideas about where you might like to hang out for a bit. They probably have a good sense of the best local coffee shops. Or they might say, hey I'm taking the applicant that is staying with me to X, why don't you join us?

Good luck!
Dr. E

Thanks guys!

I will probably opt for the coffee shop option, since I will certainly need time to unwind and rejuvenate :)

If you are chatting with grad students during the interview process, you might tell them of your situation and ask if they have ideas about where you might like to hang out for a bit. They probably have a good sense of the best local coffee shops. Or they might say, hey I'm taking the applicant that is staying with me to X, why don't you join us?

Good luck!
Dr. E

This is exactly what I would do. It gives you a potential option of socializing with the students and applicants while also giving you information on where the caffeine is.