Question about Step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

upairman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know questions about step II and applying to Dermatology have been posted in the past, and that a few programs require step II scores for rank. I am wondering if step II scores are very important for the application process if someone scores very well on step I (over a 265) and also has great shelf scores throughout the third year and lots of clinical honors. I am scheduled to take step II soon, and am wondering if I should just postpone it because I really don't have anything to prove or gain by taking the exam. If any residents who help interview applicants at their program could give their opinions I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I know questions about step II and applying to Dermatology have been posted in the past, and that a few programs require step II scores for rank. I am wondering if step II scores are very important for the application process if someone scores very well on step I (over a 265) and also has great shelf scores throughout the third year and lots of clinical honors. I am scheduled to take step II soon, and am wondering if I should just postpone it because I really don't have anything to prove or gain by taking the exam. If any residents who help interview applicants at their program could give their opinions I would really appreciate it!

Most programs don't care too much about Step 2 especially if you've got a strong Step 1 already

do programs actually require that you have taken ck prior to ranking you now? i applied two years ago and was happy with my step 1 score so I actually took step 2 ck after match day -- this way if you match, there's absolutely no pressure to study for what is, to be honest, a joke of an exam. some schools don't allow you to do this (i.e. they make you take it earlier in the fourth year) but my school just required that you had taken steps 1, 2cs and 2 ck to graduate. the one caveat is that you should take step 2 cs earlier on in the year because even though as long as you're not foreign and/or ridiculously awkward you should pass, the scoring and final pass/fail assessment is pretty nebulous -- i know someone who was neither foreign nor awkward who failed and couldn't start internship as a result (there's a delay in rescheduling for this exam). conversely, if you have four working brain cells, you will pass step 2 ck with a fairly decent score even with minimal review.

Members don't see this ad :)
do programs actually require that you have taken ck prior to ranking you now? i applied two years ago and was happy with my step 1 score so I actually took step 2 ck after match day -- this way if you match, there's absolutely no pressure to study for what is, to be honest, a joke of an exam. some schools don't allow you to do this (i.e. they make you take it earlier in the fourth year) but my school just required that you had taken steps 1, 2cs and 2 ck to graduate. the one caveat is that you should take step 2 cs earlier on in the year because even though as long as you're not foreign and/or ridiculously awkward you should pass, the scoring and final pass/fail assessment is pretty nebulous -- i know someone who was neither foreign nor awkward who failed and couldn't start internship as a result (there's a delay in rescheduling for this exam). conversely, if you have four working brain cells, you will pass step 2 ck with a fairly decent score even with minimal review.

I believe this is program dependent, I've only run into a handful of programs that require CK prior to ranking (I know my program doesn't)

I agree with the advice that Step 2 CS should be taken as early as possible (ideally after the completion of 3rd year since that's when most of us have completed our core clinical rotations)

Regarding Step 2 CK, it's one additional item to shine on your CV if you want to put the time into it. I agree that anyone with 4 functional brain cells should be able to pass it. But if people were to put in the same effort they put into Step 1 over a 2-4 week period, I suspect they would come close to their Step 1 scores (if not exceed it). CK was definitely the easiest of the 3 Step exams.

Really? I felt much more relaxed taking STEP 3. But I guess this doesn't necessarily mean it was easier. Probably just means I was finally at ease knowing I was in for a beating, now with less flinching. :)

I guess it's different from person to person. Day 1 of Step 3 certainly felt like a beating to me :)

In my opinion, the best strategy for someone in your position is (if you have the time and energy to study for Step 2 CK) to take the exam around November. This was you'll have your scores back by interviews and can report them if they're good and not mention them if they're not as good as you were hoping. You may be forced to reveal them by a few programs that specifically ask, but in general you'll be able to hide them if you need to. If you aren't willing to put in much study time though, I'd postpone it. You really only need a week or two of significant study time to ace Step 2 CK, but I wouldn't blow it off unless you take it late enough that your scores will not be available before the rank.

I'm planning on taking my Step 2 between September 1 and November (eligibility period). I realize this is prior to a lot of Derm interviews but also after ERAS is submitted. Will NBME directly forward my results to Derm programs once they are available or will I have the choice (in case I don't do as well as Step 1).

Thanks!

Really? I felt much more relaxed taking STEP 3. But I guess this doesn't necessarily mean it was easier. Probably just means I was finally at ease knowing I was in for a beating, now with less flinching. :)

I agree! I felt that Step 3 was the most relaxed too cuz I knew that all I had to do was pass and nothing more...but that may have been because I had luckily passed through the derm application gauntlet.

Recent quandry,

I'm debating between taking Step 2 at the end of December or at the end of July of this year. I will be submitting my ERAS in September. I got a 263 on step 1. I'm afraid of screwing that up by having a breakdown or really bad luck on my test in July.

Should I just take it and get it over with? or wait until December (absolute last month to take it) and take it then? Will a Step 2 score close to my Step 1 score help me get more interviews or taking Step 2 early will just stand to hurt me?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Recent quandry,

I'm debating between taking Step 2 at the end of December or at the end of July of this year. I will be submitting my ERAS in September. I got a 263 on step 1. I'm afraid of screwing that up by having a breakdown or really bad luck on my test in July.

Should I just take it and get it over with? or wait until December (absolute last month to take it) and take it then? Will a Step 2 score close to my Step 1 score help me get more interviews or taking Step 2 early will just stand to hurt me?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Things may have changed from when I applied but the majority of programs did not ask to look at my Step 2.

I would discuss this with your academic dean but I would probably lean towards recommending taking Step 2 in December given your stellar Step 1 score.

Even if taking it in late December, there's a chance your scores will return before the end of interview season and certainly before rank list submissions. If you are able to obtain a score to your liking (and most people who put in a modicum of effort into studying for Step 2 are able to, it's not a difficult exam) you can certainly send an email to programs you're interested in to inform them of the update to your application. (Not sure your Step 2 score will significantly change things though after the interview)

Is there a certain score that is generally considered competitive enough to not take step 2 early? I feel like anything south of 242 (2009 average to match) deserves an earlier sitting.